Co2 Match Air Pistol Velocity

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mtm100

Co2 Match Air Pistol Velocity

Post by mtm100 »

Hi,

I have 2 old Walther air pistols (CP3 and CPM1) that haven't been shot in many years. I am interested in shooting them again. After lubing and shooting a few hundred rounds I measured the velocities at 355 FPS for
one and 470 FPS for the other. These seem low to me. I'm wondering what they should be. Do they need to be sent out for service? Everything
seems to be in good working order and properly lubed.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

470 for CO2 is about right. The 355 sounds a bit slow with temps being the same. Perhaps you just need a new hammer spring for the valve or a stretch of the older one, maybe it was put up in a compressed position. Or could be just a good old o-ring issue. Shouldn't take much to get it shooting fine again. I am not sure if a really tight fit size pellet would drop the FPS so drastically from one barrel to another.

Shoot the 470 while the other is waiting to be fixed :)

Bo

Post by Guest »

Bowman26 wrote:470 for CO2 is about right. The 355 sounds a bit slow with temps being the same. Perhaps you just need a new hammer spring for the valve or a stretch of the older one, maybe it was put up in a compressed position. Or could be just a good old o-ring issue. Shouldn't take much to get it shooting fine again. I am not sure if a really tight fit size pellet would drop the FPS so drastically from one barrel to another.

Shoot the 470 while the other is waiting to be fixed :)

Bo
Thanks Bo,

Pellets are sized to ensure a consistency, so I don't think its pellets.
When I first pulled out the CP3 it wouldn't push a cleaning pellet thru.
After quite a few shots its getting much better. I was hoping not to have
to pull it apart but by the sounds of it I should. Hope its just a O-ring.
Any advise on where to get them?

Thanks Again for the help,
Mark

Post by Guest »

Champion's Choice is the Walther distributor and works on them.

There is a large screw head (13mm?) on the back of the CP3 (if you take the grip off). Just turn it clockwise to increase the power. If the spring inside is tired, a new one is cheap and easy to replace.

I'm not familiar with the other gun.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

maybe up the velocity if you feel it is needed for events such as air silhouette - but, for ISSF 10m go for 390fps for CO2 pistols
mtm100

Post by mtm100 »

Thanks for all the help,
Mark
OzzieM

Post by OzzieM »

If your pellets cut clean holes in good quality targets, then you have adequate pellet velocity for ISSF target shooting. Usually you get precise holes at about 450 ft/s.

OzzieM
Rover

Post by Rover »

I like to crank those suckers up until I get backsplatter through the target and it ruffles the hair of the shooters next to me.
cleantarget10x

Air Pistol fps

Post by cleantarget10x »

One of my first match air pistols many years ago was a CP2. It chronographed around 450fps with a full charge and light pellets. I always left the adj screw set at the factory setting.
Roddy