Rear aperature use question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KPinNH

Rear aperature use question

Post by KPinNH »

What distance is used by most from eye to aperature? Should the eye touch teh rubber cup or be well back from it?

Post by Guest »

From 2 to 6 inches back seems to be common. Don't let the eye touch the cup - you are adding unwanted pressure to both the eye and the rifle.
KPinNH

Thanks nt

Post by KPinNH »

Thanks, never had a competition type sight setup before.
jgrinolds

tip

Post by jgrinolds »

I would recommend removing the rubber eye cup from your sights. They aren't of an benefit. And not many if any of the top shooters use them.
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

And if the top shooters all used blue colored sights you you think everyone would be using blue sights. It has to work for you if you feel good about a using a rubber eye cup and YOU think it gives YOU an advanage go ahead and use it. THE TOP SHOOTER FOUND WHAT WORKS FOR THEM DON'T DO AS THEY JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN WALK ON WATER WITH A RIFLE
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:From 2 to 6 inches back seems to be common. Don't let the eye touch the cup - you are adding unwanted pressure to both the eye and the rifle.
I'd suggest that you should be closer than this. No more than 2 inches away, but as close as 1/2 inch is OK - 1/2 inch from the shooting lense if you use shooting glasses I should add.

Rob.
talladega

Post by talladega »

the eyecup is personal preference i think. i used to use it, then i started with air rifle and it didn't have one, then i got proper shooting frames and now i dont use the eyecup on my .22 either. but many other people i know use one and they shoot great.

experiment and find what works best for you.