Pellet testing services in US?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nirvanaisanx

Pellet testing services in US?

Post by nirvanaisanx »

Is anyone aware of a Pellet testing service here in the US? I had my old Air Rifle tested at Neal Johnson's, but he has since closed. I would like to have the new one tested as well. I have confirmed that Pilkington's offers this service, but was told that they are limited to Vogel pellets. I was looking for alternative shops to allow for multiple pellet manufacturers instead of just one.

I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

MC
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just do it yourself.

Take off your stock, clamp the rifle in a vise and go for it.

Take a look at these posts for some hints.

viewtopic.php?t=22499

viewtopic.php?t=22415

I know they're for pistol, but it doesn't matter.
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

Thanks for the reply. Always appreciated.

Unfortuately, I do not have the space or even the equipment to test it myself. If anyone knows someone who can do this, please let me know.

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Let's be a little more aggressive here.

You can go to someplace like Harbor Freight or Home Depot and buy a hefty vise and a couple of large C-clamps for less than the price of shipping your gun off for testing, never mind the testing cost and loss of your gun for a couple of weeks.

Clamp the vise to a kitchen counter or table and shoot into a box of rags.

If you can't make 33', it doesn't matter because you're only testing relative performance: finding smallest group.

Still can't do it? Find a picnic table in the boonies or a friend's garage. You'll still be money ahead, KNOW your results are dependable, and not have to buy the best shooting pellet lot from the tester. (What, $500 or $600 for 25,000?)

Good luck!
david alaways

testing

Post by david alaways »

What part of Northern Ca. r u in ? I have a vise and range you bring the pellets and gun.
Oz

Re: testing

Post by Oz »

david alaways wrote:What part of Northern Ca. r u in ? I have a vise and range you bring the pellets and gun.
I've heard that David's Pellet Testing Services are reasonable priced as well. Something like a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Ale I believe.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do the groups enlarge as the ale diminishes?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Just out of curiousity, why are you concerned with getting only Vogels tested in your gun? As long as you get the best shooting group possible any pellet should be great I would think.

Pellet testing is all about lot numbers. Not manufacturer, not head size. Its about lot numbers. So being able to go straight to the source should insure that you get the most lot numbers to choose from. And since Pilkington Competition is located right next to the Vogel USA factory, I think you should, get a good pretty good choices. And after being up here at Camp Perry for 34 days straight, I am ready to get back there.

Not that I am biased or anything. LOL
Oz

Post by Oz »

pilkguns wrote:And after being up here at Camp Perry for 34 days straight, I am ready to get back there.
ACK!!!!
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the interest in my post. I'm curious, perhaps I have a unique situation. My current airgun was tested previously and it appears that the 4.49 pellets not only shoot better from my rifle, they also fit better that other sizes (4.50, 4.51, etc). What I mean to say is that there's a noticeable difference when placing the pellet into the chamber. The larger pellets feel as though they need to be pushed with greater force into the chamber (and yes, I do clean the rifle regularly). I'm also able to tell the difference in the groupings while shooting normally. With this being said, you mentioned that testing pellets is about lots and not pellet size. Would it be true then to say that one day my rifle would test better with 4.51 and then a year later 4.49? If so, why would be want to label mm sizes? With that being said, do you think I have a unique situation or does diameter size play a role in group size?

Thanks, I'll send you a PM for follow-up.
pilkgunsbackat home

Post by pilkgunsbackat home »

do you by chance get the USA Shooting magazine? I have written three articles on this subject in their recent magazines.