MatchGuns MG5 Free Pistol.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG5E-owner

MatchGuns MG5 Free Pistol.

Post by MG5E-owner »

The new MG5 thread for (i) sharing information of experiences and (ii) other well presented opinions that are on topic.

- - - -
MG5E-owner as guest wrote:
MG5E-owner wrote:
Weekend Shooter wrote: Anyway, have you had any problems with your piece so far? What are your two cents on the pistol.
So far, the gun hasn't disappointed me much.
Well, that was back then.

As I have stated repeatedly earlier, the MG2 I have owned for more than 4 years have always ruined all matches I have participated in (with said gun).
I hoped the MG5 would srve me better.

Last weekend I drove some 800 km (500 miles) to participate in an important free pistol competition abroad.
During the match the grip of my MG5E suddenly broke! It broke (not merely fractured, it broke into two separate parts!) at the thinnest part, just above the "web".
The grip felt a bit tight that day, I admit, due to a ambient air temperature of about 22 degrees C. But the grip was not so tight that I could anticipate cracking. No way.

At inspection of the grip by more participants at the competition, the problem was rather adressed to inferior quality of wood.

The grip had not been carved, or altered in any way!
My MG5 is brand new, I had fired some 200 rounds only in this MG5 prior to this competition.

I intend to bring images of the broken grip in the near future.
Tried several times to post an image of the broken grip today, but all attemphs failed.
Image file size (jpeg) var a mere 600 kilobytes. Error message from TT read: "The file size limit of 33 Megabytes was exceeded". (Rubbish...).
Help needed.
Last edited by MG5E-owner on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MG5E-owner

Ill have to get a new grip...

Post by MG5E-owner »

I badly need a new grip, but...

I'll stick to the MG5 because of:
- the reasonably good mechanical trigger
- the fully adjustable, and "near" perfect rear sight assembly
- it's "shootablity",- the pleasing undefineable feel you get when holding and aiming the MG5,...when some extra is weight added up front.:-)
LukeP

Re: Ill have to get a new grip...

Post by LukeP »

MG5E-owner wrote:I badly need a new grip, but...

I'll stick to the MG5 because of:
- the reasonably good mechanical trigger
- the fully adjustable, and "near" perfect rear sight assembly
- it's "shootablity",- the pleasing undefineable feel you get when holding and aiming the MG5,...when some extra is weight added up front.:-)
Upload and link from imageshack or similar web hosting.
Shin
Site Admin

Re: MatchGuns MG5 Free Pistol.

Post by Shin »

You should see error message like this:
The Attachment is too big.
Max Size: 256 KB

when you click "Add Attachment"

Try to resize your images.

MG5E-owner wrote: I intend to bring images of the broken grip in the near future.

Tried several times to post an image of the broken grip today, but all attemphs failed.
Image file size (jpeg) var a mere 600 kilobytes. Error message from TT read: "The file size limit of 33 Megabytes was exceeded". (Rubbish...).
Help needed.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

If you email your image to me at: milchanowski "at" sbcglobal "dot" net I will resize and post it for you. Make sure to change the "at" to @ and the "dot" to a .

Jack
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

MG-5 Owner's broken grip images. Posted with his permission.
Attachments
MG 5 002.jpg
MG 5 002.jpg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
MG 5 004.jpg
MG 5 004.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

That is a real shame---I am heartily sorry for this terrible inconvenience to you. Of all things to go wrong, the grips certainly are the last to ever come into your mind---correct???? I don't know what it is with Match Guns products but they seem to have a black cloud over them. I see you also suffered with the MG2---I will not continue on this note as there certain forum members who have rather thin skins when it come to that product. I have had the estimable opportunity to shoot the MG5 and was very impressed with the balance and the trigger performance. I personally try to shoot a TOZ as my personal choice (Match Guns is a turn-off to me due to my MG2 experience). I hope you can get a new grip or at least do a good repair on this one---I would suggest doweling the grip and re-gluing with a good waterproof carpenter's ( yellow) glue. Looking at the pix of the break (clean) I would use a "dowel center" on the right side and drill 1/4" holes in both pieces, and a piece of suitable length 1/4" dowel and the glue I suggested. That repair will never break at that spot again---quite obviously something was putting pressure on that section and the wood separated. "Doc"
MG5E-owner

Unfavorable piece of grip wood

Post by MG5E-owner »

Bob-Riegl wrote: ...
Looking at the pix of the break (clean)....
Yes. the break is clean, and the orientation of the wood fibres is clearly visible too. I think that is the cause of this mishap.
I will not blame MG for this failure yet, as the grip may be a subcontractor product (?)

I have been in tuch with the importer, and I hope his efforts relative to the MG company will solve the matter.
I hope my (otherwice) lovely MG5 will be brought back in proper shooting shape in the near future. Or so I hope...
If (any) progress in this matter is of interest, I'll keep you informed.

As for the MG2: After the importers third rebuild of my gun, including exchange of some major parts, my MG2 behaves promisingly well...
When my MG2 works ok, it's a joy to use.

And, Jack, thanks for presenting my images.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have two remarks:
- it is pretty easy to repair with high strength wood glue.
- I am afraid that it will break again since that piece is thin and the wood fibers are in the wrong/weak direction. A laminated grip with crossed wood fibers will avoid this. May be you could try to get a refund for the grip and buy a laminated Rink grip. I have one on my Hammerli 160 and it is excellent with nice adjustment possibilities
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Send an email to Stefano Calzetti at matchguns.com, I'm sure they will send you another one...
MG5E-owner

"Reliable grip"

Post by MG5E-owner »

buonvento wrote:Send an email to Stefano Calzetti at matchguns.com, I'm sure they will send you another one...
The importer is about to clear up this matter.

Yes, my MG5 deserves a good, "reliable" grip.
The MG5 is a recommendable FP, in my opinion.
Last edited by MG5E-owner on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
julioalperi

My Morini 162 EI

Post by julioalperi »

No comment.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

A friend of mine repaired a similar break on another manufacturer's grip using dowels and, I think, Acraglas. He claimed the repair was stronger than the original wood. It never broke again.

Stan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I think we have all seen similar breaks on various pistols.

I can remember 5 on FAS 602/603s in the late 1980s.

I know one team manager who always carried a hot glue gun in his travelling kit.
MG5E-owner

Re: My Morini 162 EI

Post by MG5E-owner »

julioalperi wrote:No comment. (image)
Well, your small fissure is not much to write home about. Mine separated completely. ; - )
What caused your grip to fracture?
MG5E-owner

The FAS grips were unusual.

Post by MG5E-owner »

David Levene wrote:I think we have all seen similar breaks on various pistols.
I can remember 5 on FAS 602/603s in the late 1980s.
Yes, I can imagine that. But remember, the FAS semi-auto grips had an alarmingly thin "rim" of wood around the rear of frames.
I have owned two FAS semiautos. Still have one in .32 cal. None of my FAS grips ever fractured.
julioalperi

Fissure

Post by julioalperi »

The cause could be due to humidity changes?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

In case of the FAS, the reason's probably that they used strawberry - wood for their laminated grips instead of something durable - striving to help the boss' Rolex collection. All other grip breaks I've seen so far (not all that many factory grips - it's something else of course, when the grinder has come near them :-) happened because the grip got pressure from the frame or some screw - even grips have tolerances, and sometimes they warp. And shooters tend to tighten everything to the max, except their underarm muscles :-D
ruig

Post by ruig »

Holy rules for free pistol grips.

1) If You hesitate about reliability - use wooden injections (plugs) with glue.
2) If You think, that grip strong enough - use wooden plugs anyway.

Amen.
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

I've also purchased a Mg-5.
And I had a problem with the trigger.
After an email to match guns I wast directly helped by them.
Now I am very happy that I have sold my Toz-35 and now shooting with a Mg-5.