sb for smaller shooters

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jcinadr

sb for smaller shooters

Post by jcinadr »

My daughter is 11 and fairly small for her age. She is currently shooting an club Ansultz Achiever (fits well). My son is just starting 4H, and will be shooting a club Savage Cub. The Achiever is a great gun, but I am not 100% sold on the cubs yet.

Any suggestions on rifles for them (I like the Savage MARK II-FVT (for my daughter), but it has way to long of trigger pull - and I really worry about cutting down a composite stock). Price is somewhat of an issue.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

JCINADR .....
Have you looked at a CM-2 (cadet)? Check out this thread:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=22266

For my younger shooters the path is this:
CM-2 --> Anschutz 1903 --> Anschutz 1912 (type)
(10-12 or so ---> 13-14 ---> 14+)

About halfway down the above thread I've posted a photo of a CM-2 that my 15 year old keeps shooting ... we just recently put a Medesha sight extension tube on it. Personally, the CM-2 seems to have a bit nicer trigger than the Savage .. not like an Anschutz, but after a small amount of work in it's very nice.

I have a 17 year old shooting a 1907-U6 in a 1912 stock and my 14 year old shoots a 1907-U6 in a 1913 stock. We only went to those guns when they showed some commitment and began to outgrow the CM-2s and 1903s
jcinadr

Post by jcinadr »

I have glanced at both the 1903 Jr and the cm-2 cadet, but I fear they are both still too large for my daughter (and definitely way to large for my son.

I have been postponing getting them rifles for that reason - the club has a good number of junior rifles and even my daughter is not large enough for an intermediate sized rifle yet (2 more years, maybe).

As a coach, I really hate seeing kids struggle with too much gun (most of the time it is 70lb girls trying to shoot a Savage with a 13.5" length of pull) - or 45lb boys with daddy's .22.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Then you are doing the right thing and keeping her on the Achiever for a bit longer.

I tell all my parents to use the club equip as long as they can ...

PM me and I'll send you some photos with some of our younger hooters with the CM-2 ... the Cadet is very good for smaller shooters ... I'm in C Springs for a week, but when I get back home I cam measure the minimum LOP, or you can call Mac at MT guns .... he'd do that for you.

Here is a shot with Sarah .... there are 2 spacers and I think she needs more, but she likes it short. The 1903 IS bigger and heavier than the CM-2
http://www.vc4hss.com/VC4HSS_PHOTOS/emA ... mg=65&tn=1
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

There is an aluminum aftermarket stock for the CZ452,available from PDC Custom, and they are working on a stock for the Savage.

http://pdccustom.com/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=43
ky99

Post by ky99 »

I think the achiever works well until they grow into a 1912 or a 1907 in a aluminum stock.The cm2 cadet is a good choice for something in between, but kids hit a pretty good growth spurt around 12 to 14, girls sooner than boys.The good thing is a 1912 or 1907 is a rifle she would never grow out of.I guess my point is the time that a achiever is too small and a 1912 is too big and heavy would not be over a year at most.
GCSInc

Here's another choice

Post by GCSInc »

Anschutz Match 64 action. All Stock work done by Bill Earnest (ESP). Rifles with or without Anschutz Sights. Your choice Make Offer.

viewtopic.php?t=22595
Attachments
I have two left.
I have two left.
IMG 1.JPG (25.14 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
Last edited by GCSInc on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TWP

Post by TWP »

How deep is your wallet?

We've had several sub-juniors whose parents have bought 1907's and had the barrel and stock shortened up as small as they could go then bloop tubes were added to gain the sight radius back.

My own daughter got a 1607 in a 1613 stock when she was 12 (she was very tall for her age). We had Neal Johnsons take the barrel down to 20" and put a bloop tube on it. That took about a pound of weight off the muzzle and she is still shooting the same rifle.

I also have 2 shooters using rifles that Mac Tilton did similar work on 1903's.