New Sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walther101

New Sling

Post by Walther101 »

I am thinking of buying a new sling, and am currently using an old Anschutz leather sling. I am thinking of getting a Gehmann Micro-adjustable Artificial sling. Is it worth the money or should I just get another leather sling?

Thanks for any help,

Walther101
Attachments
sling.JPG
sling.JPG (18.47 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I personally don't really see any advantages. I'm curious as to what you think it will acheive or if you have problem areas that you think the sling may help you with (such as pulse for example) ?

Rob.

Post by Guest »

I'll disagree partially with Rob. If your leather sling is elderly I would recommend replacing it with a new synthetic sling. Leather becomes tretchy with age as the fibres lose their elasticity; this doesn't happen with synthetic materials.

That said the Gehmann micro adjustable may not be the best for you. I've not seen anyone using a Gehmann sling in my area, someone on this board may have first hand experience; I do know people who use the Thune ATL, Anschutz swing, and Akah adjustables. I don't think these are essential, nice but would you be as well served by a simpler synthetic sling such as the Thune?

Tim S
Exeter UK
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

I think that I have decided between either the Anschutz swing or Gehmann Micro-adjustable Artificial sling. With my old leather sling I had problems with the sling touching the trigger guard. I though that the Gehmann sling my help prevent this, but it may have been a position issue. Has anybody else had this problem?

Walther101

Post by Guest »

The sling pictured above is the new anti-pulse sling.

The benefits are in the name!
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Have a look at the two new Centra pulse-less slings. The Start-line model is about the same price as the Gehmann sling however the more expensive model is very nice quality bit of gear.
Cheers
Martin

Post by Guest »

Martin H wrote:Have a look at the two new Centra pulse-less slings. The Start-line model is about the same price as the Gehmann sling however the more expensive model is very nice quality bit of gear.
Cheers
Martin
With a very funny sling attachment, which I think is a pain personally.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:The sling pictured above is the new anti-pulse sling.

The benefits are in the name!
The name is a slightly missleading. Any sling can lead to pulse and any sling can have the pulse eliminated. If you are getting a pulse then the sling is either in the wrong place or pulling from the wrong place - or a combination of both.

I take Tim's point however that an old leather sling becomes slightly more stretchy than a synthetic one.

Rob.
2650 Plus

No pulse slings

Post by 2650 Plus »

Over the years Iv'e bought every sling Al Freeland made plus most of the european slings and they all had a pulse, So I designed what the US high power shooters call a two buckle sling. It worked. The sling illustrated by the first poster has the same characteristics in that there is no keeper pinching the sling against the bicept. This is what I found causing my pulse bounce. I believe you will find the sling you illustrated will at a minimum effectively reduce or eliminate the bounce and you can forget about trying to catch the shot on the pause of the pulse. Good Shooting Bill Horton

Post by Guest »

RobStubbs wrote: If you are getting a pulse then the sling is either in the wrong place or pulling from the wrong place - or a combination of both.

Rob.
Correct, but these new slings with a double arm loop are makin the sling pull from dead centre of the arm no matter what you do as the two loops rotate round each other.

Thats the point.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:
RobStubbs wrote: If you are getting a pulse then the sling is either in the wrong place or pulling from the wrong place - or a combination of both.

Rob.
Correct, but these new slings with a double arm loop are makin the sling pull from dead centre of the arm no matter what you do as the two loops rotate round each other.

Thats the point.
Indeed that is one of their objectives and that's also (arguably) what you don't want. You want the pull coming more from the outside, i.e further away from the artery. As with all these things you need to try them for yourself and see which works. If you do have problems with pulse with a 'normal' sling after trying different positions up and down the arm, then give something like this a try.

The simple answer is that no one item will be right for all shooters, and you need to find what's right for you by a process of trial and error.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I've never met anyone with a pulse on the back of their arm, and the old theory about the sling is better pulling from the outside is fine, yes and I agree if the sling being used is of the normal traditional one loop design.

However with it pulling from the outside you are causing rotation of the arm inwards, with your elbow fixed on the ground this rotation will cause some muscle tension in the arm. This tension is easier to control than a pulse, yes, but with it pulling directly from the back you do not cause this rotation and thus tension, nor do you have a pulse

I agree that movng the sling up and down the arm will usually get rid of a pulse but thats not true for everyone, myself included.