Hard to release air fitting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mesa

Post by Mesa »

I just got my new Air-Arms, ALFA proj sport pistol, and have a problem losseing air when I try to remove the air fitting from the pistol. Its somewhat difficult and I lose alot of pressure in the process. Do I lube the O-rings or what.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hi Mesa,

Try releasing the pressure from the pump after your cylinder has been fully charged....If you are using a manual pump, then there should be a pressure release screw at the bottom of the pump.

Removing the cylinder while under pressure makes it difficult...

If your problem is while removing it from the pistol, then put some lubricant around the threads of the cylinder, DO NOT LUBRICATE THE O RINGS because most lubricants destroy them.

If you can get some FWB or any other manufacturer's grease, use it...This will be the best alternative because these lubricants are designed for protecting O rings while giving you the best lubrication possible.

Regards,

AZUARO
Mesa

Post by Mesa »

Azuro Thanks for the information, my setup doesn't have a pressure release valve, since it is all new to me I'll have to do a little messing around and see what I come up with.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Mesa, I have to disagree slightly with azuaro. I would recommend using a good quality SILICONE grease to lubricate the O-ring(s). You can probably get some from the place you bought your pistol or from a SCUBA shop.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

I slightly agree with your disagreement superstring...

FWB and other gun manufacturers use silicon based lubricants and Teflon in their guns and this is what I meant when I said: "If you can get some FWB ...use it"

FWB (Feinwerkbau) is just one of the gun manufacturers who sell these O ring friendly lubricants to the public but your advise about using Scuba Equipment silicon grease will probably make it easier to find and cheaper for Mesa.

Being more precise about lubricants, I probably should have said DO NOT use PETROLEUM based lubricants which in fact destroy O rings and should not be used in air guns nowadays...

Regards,

AZUARO
E.K.

Re: Hard to release air fitting

Post by E.K. »

Mesa wrote:I just got my new Air-Arms, ALFA proj sport pistol, and have a problem losseing air when I try to remove the air fitting from the pistol. Its somewhat difficult and I lose alot of pressure in the process. Do I lube the O-rings or what.
I have part from scuba shop and it helps a lot
send me e-mail to bbmaster223@yahoo.co.kr than
I will send you picture file
Mesa

hard to release fitting

Post by Mesa »

Thanks to all the people that gave me advice an my stubborn fitting, after trying to match it to an existing valve I finaly just ordered the valve and hose from Pyramyd air, now all is right with my world, But many thanks to all the people who offered help.
Mesa
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

"Warning! Will Robinson!"...

Any gas or hydraulic pressure fitting that is hard to 'release' is often nature's way of letting you know that there is pressure where it should not be.

Spencer