Pistol Arm - Shoulder position

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
higginsdj

Pistol Arm - Shoulder position

Post by higginsdj »

Is there an ideal position for the pistol arm shoulder? ie I shoot with my shoulder pulled down and back but I see a great many other shooters with a high shoulder, more in line with the head (and seemingly tucked into the jaw in extreme cases).

There has to be close to 15-20 degrees alignment difference between my arm alignment and those who basically look straight down thier arms. What is the down side of my arm alignment?

(I'm a novice)

Cheers

David
2650 Plus

Shoulder position

Post by 2650 Plus »

David, you might take a look at the rifle shooters position. I believe it clearly illustrates proper muscle relaxation and surely that applies to pistol shooting as well. I am convinced that the low position you described earlier is the best as far fewer muscles are needed to hold the pistol in firing position and it also allows a far more relaxed basic position. I expect you will advance much more rapidly doing exactly what you have described than trying to use any other technique. Keep on training and you may find your scores mpoving into competitive ranges sooner than you expect. Good Shooting Bill Horton
agentr

shoulder position

Post by agentr »

I disagree and agree with 2650 plus. Although I am just shy of a 2600 pistol shooter, all the 2600 plus shooters I know (US ARMY Reserve pistol team), hold their their shoulder high and look down thier arm.

I asked about this and was told it helps to lock the joints and helps absorb alot of the recoil of a 45 cal pistol. However these same people told me to do whatever I felt comfortable with IF it would hold the pistol steady.

I have also had some training with shooting high power service rifle matches. What 2650 told you is exactly what members of the Army high power shooting team tought me.

If you like, go to the camp perry website (www.odcmp.com) and look at the pictures of the military shooting team members. You can get an idea from there.

It seems the two disiplines differ in respect to holds.

Best of luck
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

David:

You may consider this somewhat of a "non-answer" or "kicking the ball back to you" but it is the truth nonetheless.

There are two elements of the sport: the shooting platform (stance, grip, approach, settle) and then the release of the shot (align, front sight, trigger, follow through).

Stand on your head and whistle Dixie (within rule restrictions) if it helps you achieve positive outcomes on the two elements.

Platform: What gives you the best Stability, Comfort, and Consistency while settled?

Release: what gives you the best focus on front sight, alignment of sights, and subconscious initiation of plus perfectly stable [no disrutpion to front sights] triggering?

You will have hundreds of technique questions and issues over the course of your development. The "Best" technique will always be whatever technique "works best for you."

The definition of "what works best for your" (above) will allow you to make informed decisions about the wide variety of options among all possible technique choices . . .

Steve Swartz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz as Guest wrote:You will have hundreds of technique questions and issues over the course of your development. The "Best" technique will always be whatever technique "works best for you."
In my day I was a reasonable ISSF Standard Pistol shooter; my technique and stance for the 10 second stage was different from those for the 150 and 20 seconds.

It always amused me when others tried to copy my 10 second stance. Not only were they unstable but several actually found it painful. They were obviously built wrong ;-)

As Steve said, use whatever works best for you.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Thanks Guys. I'm happy with my stance feet placement and torso alignment) built up over 20 years of archery for balance.

My shoulder position is comfortable, alignment wise, but I lock it down with muscular effort and over the course of a match the muscles fatigue and the shoulder position changes. Should I be expending the effort locking the shoulder down or just postioning the shoulder and let it 'relax' somewhat?

PS - I really hate it when my shooting doesn't improve overnight :) I think this impatience needs to be redirected into something more positive!

Post by Guest »

the less you have to tense your muscles the better. if it is relaxed right from the start then it shouldnt have changed by the end of the match
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My copy is buried at the moment, but this is the sort of thing Yur Yev's "Competitive Shooting" book probably discusses. If I get a chance I'll try to dig it out. If someone else has theirs more ready to hand, I would be interested in what he has to say.

personally, I vote for comfortable, with no significant muscle strain. I find that stretching my arm straight forward just ~ 6 mm helps to lock up the joints a little without any undue strain.