MG5 - original compensator to be exchanged

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MG5E-owner

Not bad, not bad

Post by MG5E-owner »

Weekend Shooter wrote: Anyway, have you had any problems with your piece so far? What are your two cents on the pistol.
No problems so far.
But, the pistol is much too light up front. (Relativelly more so than the FP 10, 'cause the action of FP 10 was come 100 grams lighter than that of the MG5.)
An undesirable feature of the MG5 (same for the FP10), in my opinion: A chambered live cartridge cannot be extracted by just reopening the action. It has to be either fired, or removed from the muzzle end with the cleaning rod. Then you have to put your hand very close to the muzzle of a loaded gun, when inserting that rod...
Same goes for a loaded black powder gun, you said,... it has to be fired to render it unloaded? Umph...well....

So far, the gun hasn't disappointed me much.
MG5E-owner as guest

Murphy's law

Post by MG5E-owner as guest »

MG5E-owner wrote:
Weekend Shooter wrote: Anyway, have you had any problems with your piece so far? What are your two cents on the pistol.
So far, the gun hasn't disappointed me much.
Well, that was back then.

As I have stated repeatedly earlier, the MG2 I have owned for more than 4 years have always ruined all matches I have participated in (with said gun).
I hoped the MG5 would srve me better.

Last weekend I drove some 800 km (500 miles) to participate in an important free pistol competition abroad.
During the match the grip of my MG5E suddenly broke! It broke (not merely fractured, it broke into two separate parts!) at the thinnest part, just above the "web".
The grip felt a bit tight that day, I admit, due to a ambient air temperature of about 22 degrees C. But the grip was not so tight that I could anticipate cracking. No way.

At inspection of the grip by more participants at the competition, the problem was rather adressed to inferior quality of wood.

The grip had not been carved, or altered in any way!
My MG5 is brand new, I had fired some 200 rounds only in this MG5 prior to this competition.

I intend to bring pistures of the broken grip in the near future.
MG5E-owner as guest

Ill stay by my MG5, though...

Despite some (minor) flaws, I find the MG5 an attractive gun. I have owned some FPs in the past: Russian, and Western European guns.
I'll somehow get a new grip and continue using my MG5.

The grip for the MG5 is supplied to MG by a subcontractor, I think?
An inferior piece of wood can make its way to the market from any supplier.

I have experienced a few malfunctions of the trigger cocking lever (mechanichal trigger unit installed).
The problem has some resemblance to that described by "Weekend Shooter" in his post of july 10th, in this thread.

I loaded a round, closed the action, pushed the cocking lever fully forward, sighted, pulled the trigger....at trigger release only a very faint "click" was herd. (There was no firing pin indent visible at the cartridge case rim).
By opening and closing the action, then pushing the lever fully forward again, aiming, pulling the trigger,.. and the round discharged in normal manner.

I think the malfunction was caused by the cocking lever not being pulled fully to the rear by the lever spring. This may have been caused by some foreign matter impairing movement of the cocking lever.
This have heppened a few times only.

I then removed grip, and cleaned the gun (hardly any visible crud, remember only a limited number of rounds have feen fired with the gun in total). After reassembly, there has been no malfunction of the lever/trigger.

To reduce FP grips tendency to crack above the thin web area, I have been thinking of buying a laminated grip, like the one pictured here, from Rink:
www.pistol-grips.net

A stronger grip, a bit heavier..and it does'nt come cheap...
Ernie Rodriguez

MG-5 Cleaning

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Guest-Don't forget to clean the levers/parts under the firing pin.To get at them-remove grip+pin#5088 then pin#5041 and finally screw# 5011 and unit will slide/drop out exposing the underneath levers of firing pin.Make sure they are free of crud.
MG5E-owner as guest

Re: MG-5 Cleaning

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:Guest-Don't forget to clean the levers/parts under the firing pin.To get at them-remove grip+pin#5088 then pin#5041 and finally screw# 5011 and unit will slide/drop out exposing the underneath levers of firing pin.
Yes, you are right, - I know. The construction of the MG5 is strikingly similar to that of the Hämmerli FP10...which I used for many years...