shootingglasses related questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pistolsmurf

shootingglasses related questions

Post by pistolsmurf »

Because of bad eyesight, I'm using an iris/aparture on my shootingglasses. Unfortunately I have to make the hole VERY small to see me frontsight clearly. Lately I have learned that darkening my blinder on non-sighting eye, have helped to make frontsight clearer.

My questions:
A: Have any of you had related observations?
B: Are there any rules preventing a blinder that is not transparent?
C: Is it legal (ISSF) to use clip-on sunglasses with a hole?

Thanks in advance Mikkel K. aka pistolsmurf

PS. I'm shooting a FWB p30 @ 15 meters (danish target a bit bigger~10,2=10,0 @ 10m.) Trying to get past 290p./30 shots.
diopter

Post by diopter »

You might need a prescription lens.

I wear progressive lens all day that range from -4.0± near the top to -2.0± diopters lower down where I read.
My pistol shooting glasses lens is -2.25, so I can see the front sight clearly, and I adjust the iris to see the target a bit clearer than what is possible only with the -2.25 lens, though I intentionally leave the target a bit blurry.

I use a -2.5 lens for target rifle shooting on rifles that have sights with an iris
Problematical with ordinary iron rifle sights.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Cranking down the aperture may make the sight clearer, but it sounds like you are doing it at the cost of cutting the light reaching the eye. I think you would be much better off getting a corrective lens that moves the natural focus of the aiming eye closer to your front sight. With shooting glasses like Knobloch's & Champion's, you can get clip on corrective lenses that you can experiment with to find the lens power that works best.

I wear contact lenses, and my aiming eye is normally focused for distance. I only have to add a correction to the glasses that brings that focus in to the front sight. I still use an aperture to increase the range of focus (depth of field) so that my rear sight and the target are too blurry.

My wife shoots, and she wears glasses, so we had a corrective lens cut to fit her Champion frames. She can then add additional lens as needed. The only catch is that her correction is strong enough that the thick lens doesn't work that well with the clip-on system.
pistolsmurf

Post by pistolsmurf »

Thanks for the answers. For the record: I am using Knobloch's with a corrective lens simular to my normal glasses. My correction is: +3,25 cyl:2,00 @ 86 deg. with a keratoconus (not as bad as Marty Feldman though). I am on a tight budget, so I was lucky to get my shooting glass lens for free (saved me 250+$), because my optometric made an error ordering the lens 8-)

I am aware of loss of light due to small hole, but that is the answer at the moment. Perhaps +0,25 or +0,50 would help me. An extra lens is out of my budget, maybe knoblochs clip-on system could be affordable, a yellow lens even be able to clear up things.

As to question C: I am talking about clip-on sunglasses on a "normal" everyday-frame.
Thanks again Mikkel K