Dryfire plugs - more to it than I thought? And GSP dryfire?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Dryfire plugs - more to it than I thought? And GSP dryfire?

Post by MSC »

I always thought the simple strip/plugs like Larry's sells were adequate. Thin enough that the slide nearly closes. Then when I purchased a Benelli a year or so back, it's dryfire plug was a substantial spacer that held the bolt open about 1/4 of the way. I saw similiar on a fellow's Pardini a while back. He saw my thin strip plug and told me, though it's better than nothing, I'm still causing undue wear on trigger parts, and should really be using that chunky plug.
Fast-forward to my recent purchase - a Walther GSP. Didn't come with any type of dryfire plug. What's the recommendation for the GSP? I know you can actually buy a dryfire trigger group, but I'm not so icnclined.
Thanks for any input.
P.S. If you have a spare GSP mag you'd like to sell, please let me know.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I can't see how the thickness of the plug or buffer would affect loads, and thus wear, on the sear, etc. Either the trigger releases, or it doesn't.

However, a thick plug might cause the hammer to strike the firing pin before it has accelerated to maximum velocity, so perhaps less wear there. However, the end of the firing pin might be subjected to a sideways force because of the hammer position. I guess it depends on the design of the gun. FWIW, the FAS dry-fire plug holds the slide back about 12mm. Spin-off benefit - it's a lot easier to remove than a spent case!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:However, a thick plug might cause the hammer to strike the firing pin before it has accelerated to maximum velocity, so perhaps less wear there.
On several guns the thicker plug holds the slide open enough so that the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin at all, just the rear bottom corner of the slide.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks guys. David, your response seems to ring a bell as to what the fellow w/the Pardini said.

Now anyone know the "standard" for dryfire w/the GSP?
mstuhr

Plug for GSP

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
I had cut a washer from a rubber lens cap between a 16th and an 8th of an inch thick. Closer to an 8th.
I used it and just never dropped the hammer with out it.
It is a hard rubber, not plastic.
I have an invoice in front of me from Earl's for a new firing pin to replace my two part custom job dated 6/29/09.
OUCH! They are not cheap.
I don't know what is needed but I'm cutting back on the dry fire untill someone comes up with a good game plan.
I thought I had it figured out.
Good luck
Mike