Does a new 46M need cleaning?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

motorcycle5

Does a new 46M need cleaning?

Post by motorcycle5 »

This is my first ever target pistol and it gets here this week. I've read that the 46M ships from Russia with a protective coating on some exterior and interior places. One guy took apart the pump assembly in order to clean it before using (!) ..on the other hand that seems like an isolated instance. Is there any general agreement on the issue of cleaning a brand new (russian) pistol, or do you generally disagree.
I'm already hip to storing the pistol with the breech open; just trying to cover all the bases before the thing arrives.

thanks!
boris

Post by boris »

I've prepared few NIB IZH-46M for myself and friends.
All of them needed just a good wipe outside, bore cleaning with pull-through patches (CLP or Goo-Gone), screws checked, trigger adjusted, grip modified and adjusted before they ready for shooting.
motorcycle5

Post by motorcycle5 »

Thank you boris. When it arrives I'll be good to go.

M.

Post by Guest »

I just pulled several patches through the barrel before shooting pellets. Do check the screws though. The screw securing the rear sight base was loose, and that caused some trouble when I was trying to zero in.

Post by Guest »

When I got mine, I shot a few hundred rounds through it and then it quit firing - like it dry fired all the time. I disassembled it and cleaned all the gunk out of the inside of the air chamber and piston. It has worked quite well since. Use PellGun oil.

http://www.airgunarena.com/index.php/Di ... structions
motorcycle5

Post by motorcycle5 »

Anonymous wrote:When I got mine, I shot a few hundred rounds through it and then it quit firing - like it dry fired all the time. I disassembled it and cleaned all the gunk out of the inside of the air chamber and piston. It has worked quite well since. Use PellGun oil.

http://www.airgunarena.com/index.php/Di ... structions
Thanks all. And thanks guest #2 for the link. I have a feeling cleaning the air chamber and piston are not normally required, but that it makes good sense to do anyway, and it also helps familiarize with the pistol and removes mystery. So I'll go ahead and clean the air chamber too. Pellgunoil.. yeah.. that seems to be the main choice.
I read the blog where the guy measured pretty decent velocity increase by his way of pumping: two quick and partial pumps followed by a normal full stroke pump. Apparently it wasnt a fluke, and he got repeatable increases by doing it. What else. I know about flipping the rear sight, if needed.. shaping the grip is a given- I'm looking forward to it. Made a frankenstein pair of shooting glasses using old sunglasses last night. Read that putting regular targets in the oven will make the paper more crispy and prone to taking holes instead of tearing. Interesting.
DRB3224

46m Storage?

Post by DRB3224 »

"storing the pistol with the breech open"

Can anyone explain this comment at the end of the first post above? I just got one of these pistols and hadn't heard this previously.

Thanks,

Glenn
spacepilot

Re: 46m Storage?

Post by spacepilot »

DRB3224 wrote:"storing the pistol with the breech open"

Glenn
As I understand it, it means not to lock the breech lever down for long period of time, so no pressure is exerted on the breech seals in order to extend its life. Basically store the pistol with the breech like like the first picture, not like the second one.

Incidentally, is there any opinion on where the cocking lever should be when the pistol is stored. It's obvious that in the first picture there's more stress on the piston seal than the second picture.

DRB3224

Thanks, Spacepilot

Post by DRB3224 »

Spacepilot - Thanks for posting the explanation and very helpful photo of the breech.

Glenn