Anschutz 1813

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

Anschutz 1813

Post by bored184 »

Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a Anschutz 1813 SuperMatch for $1500.00. The gun is immaculate condition, the blue on the action and barrel is 99.99% and I swear it has seen very little use. The wooden stock is probably 90-95%, it has a few small dings but all the adjustments work great. I think the dings may have come from being a safe queen and other rifles knocking up against it. It comes with all the gear like sights, riser block, instruction manual with the test target, sling, hand stop and a few more goodies. Is this a good deal? Also, any information on this rifle would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bored184
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

The 1813 is around 20-25 years old.
its basically a the predicesor to the 1913
I have owned mine since 1983
The newer 1913 has a more adjustable stock but for $1500 I think you are doing well.
I shoot master/expert scores with mine.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Sounds like a lot of money for an 1813 supermatch to me. I paid less than half that for mine (albeit in the UK). As mentioned, it's not a new gun but mine is still very accurate.

Rob.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Well my father and I decided to buy the rifle. It may be a lot for an Anschutz 1813 Super Match, but my father and I are quite proud to be the new owners. Like i said it came with everything, the only thing it was missing was the original box.

Now that we have the rifle What do you guys/gals recommend in the way of storage and transport? Also I have a 22 cleaning rod but I know the barrels are tight, is there a cleaning rod you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Bored184

P.S How do I upload pictures?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mine is stored in a locked gun cabinet and I just stand it on the butt. I changed the butt plate to the anschutz adjustable one, and I just remove it when I store the gun (and I remove the bolt and rearsight too).

As for transport I use the hard plastic gun case I got with the gun. When I get to the range I pop on the rearsight and insert the bolt.

I'm not a great gun cleaner so I'll let someone else offer advice on that one ;)

Rob.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Good luck with it.
As to cleaning ... a cleaning rod guide is a must and always clean from the action forward. (never from the muzzle)
I am not a huge fan of polishing the bore of my 1813.
I never kept track of quantity but I would guess I have at least 30K through my rifle and I clean it the bore 1-2 times a year tops.
I do clean and oil the bolt and clean the action more often than that but my rifle will drill groups with the right ammo in the xring every time at 50 and 100 yards.
I have also test groups from the rifle at 200 yards in low wind under 2"
so I don't think my 1-2 times a year is a bad practice.
There are also opinions about cleaning rods... some say plastic coated is the way to go but I have a hard SS one piece rod that I have had for 25+ years that looks like the day I made it.
The reason behind the hard SS is a clean polished rod is not going to get scratches that could collect grit and dirt and bring it into your rifle like a soft aluminum or brass rod would.
A plastic coated rod would also work as long as you keep it dirt and grit free.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

To add to the good advice already given:
Always store the rifle with the firing pin spring relaxed {uncocked}. If you remove the bolt, twist it to release the tension and if you store it in the rifle, which I do, on most models you can pull the trigger as you are closing the bolt to release the tension without impacting the breech with the firing pin.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Freepistol wrote:To add to the good advice already given:
Always store the rifle with the firing pin spring relaxed {uncocked}. If you remove the bolt, twist it to release the tension and if you store it in the rifle, which I do, on most models you can pull the trigger as you are closing the bolt to release the tension without impacting the breech with the firing pin.
Very good advise...
I store my rifle with the cleaning rod guide in the action and the bolt out with the spring uncocked.

The reason behind removing the bolt is: if the rifle case is ever hit hard in the area of the bolt it could damage or crack the stock. (especially if flying somewhere)
Removing the bolt reduces the risk.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I splurged when I got my 1913 and ordered a machined bore guide from Jeff Madison at M. Werks and a stainless steel cleaning rod from Denny Phillips at Ivy Rods.

Both pieces of kit are high quality and sales and service support from both Jeff and Denny -- and Denny's wife DebMarie! -- are top notch.

They're a little pricey and might take a little longer to arrive, but you won't be disappointed.

Jason
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Jason wrote:I splurged when I got my 1913 and ordered a machined bore guide from Jeff Madison at M. Werks and a stainless steel cleaning rod from Denny Phillips at Ivy Rods.

Both pieces of kit are high quality and sales and service support from both Jeff and Denny -- and Denny's wife DebMarie! -- are top notch.

They're a little pricey and might take a little longer to arrive, but you won't be disappointed.

Jason
+1
The bitterness of poor quality long outlives the sweetness of a good price.
bored184

Post by bored184 »

bruce

Post by bruce »

It looks to be in very nice condition :)

On the matter of cleaning, if you ask 100 people you will get at least 99 different answers.
The Anschütz factory technicians recommend cleaning after shooting, but not aggressively. Just a couple of loose patches pushed though to remove the combustion debris. With a slightly more intensive clean every 500 rounds, or if the rifle is going to be stored for more than a couple of weeks.

Personally, I use the VFG cleaning felts to clean the bore after shooting. 2 dry felts up the barrel, then a wipe of the bolt and loading tray with a cloth. It takes seconds to do as I'm putting the rifle into the case.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Great looking rifle----and a wooden stock!
There are many tens in that rifle waiting for someone to punch them in the paper.
Ben