10 meter matches for scoped rifles.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dt3

10 meter matches for scoped rifles.

Post by dt3 »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to 10 meter shooting as well. I have shot bullseye and small bore pistol metallic silhouette in the past but have not competed in several years now. I recently purchased a FWB 600 and am enjoying it very much. It has been a long time since I have shot open sights on a rifle and am having a little difficulty in that my eyes are not what they once were. As a result I am considering scoping my rifle. I was wondering if there is a level or class of 10 meter competition where scopes are allowed? I do not intend to compete seriously and primarily shoot in my back yard however I do plan to shoot at some informal indoor matches at my local club this winter.

I am also interested in purchasing a cut down loading gate for my rifle or at least another loading gate that I can cut down myself. Any suggestion on where I can get one?

Thanks,
Darrell
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As far as I know there are no 10M air rifle comps for scoped rifles. There are I think, events such as benchrest air rifle, running target and field target which all use scoped air rifles.

If your eyes are not what they were, then make sure you are sighting correctly. I.e. only focus on the foresight as the target is meant to be slightly blurred. If you can see the foresight ok then you should be ok. If you have trouble seeing the foresight, you may well find using a scope makes shooting even harder.

Rob.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

RobStubbs wrote:If your eyes are not what they were, then make sure you are sighting correctly. I.e. only focus on the foresight as the target is meant to be slightly blurred.
Also with peep-style rifle sights?
Thanks.
dt3

Post by dt3 »

Thanks for the responses guys! I guess I should have stated that my primary problem with shooting open sights is that of image jump due to bifocals. I am hoping that this will lesson as I become more familiar with my rifle, adjust the stock and learn how to mount it consistently. Actually, I find it easier to shoot without my glass at this point.

As for focusing on the front sight goes that excellent advice and it is something that I am familiar with from my Bullseye days. However, I am having trouble doing so with the round front sight insert. Focusing on a front sight post comes natural to me but I find myself straining to focus on the front circle while trying to center the target within it at the same time. Does anyone in this game use a post front sight? Any suggestion?
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Look into shooting airgun Silhouette with your 10m rifle. You can use it for both Target and Open Classes. Great fun with scoped 10m rifles shooting Rams @45 yards versus paper @33 feet.

Bo
dt3

Post by dt3 »

Thanks for the suggestion Bowman! Is an 8.2 grain .177 pellet going 550 fps enough energy to knock down a Ram at 45 yards?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

dt3 wrote:...Any suggestion?
1 dump the bifocals for shooting
2 get a lens set up for the distance to your front sight - preferably in a set of shooting frames so that you can look through the centre of the lens and have the lens perpendicular to the line of sight
3 try a larger front sight to start with

Once that front sight is in relaxed focus, centering it around the aiming mark gets much easier

Spencer
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

dt3 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Bowman! Is an 8.2 grain .177 pellet going 550 fps enough energy to knock down a Ram at 45 yards?
Target Class is for 10m rifles specifically but are not a bad choice for Open class as well where many shoot faster PCP rifles but some still prefer the match 10m rifle. The only one it does not qualify for is Sporter Class.

There is plenty enough energy to knock them down. The trick outside is any amount of wind really makes for a challenge at that range. Turkeys at 36 yards in windy conditions are a major challenge as well.

The nice thing about scoped sils shooting at 600 fps or less is that you can spot for yourself as you see the pellet no problem :)

Bo
metalnwood

Post by metalnwood »

I agree with spencer, get rid of the bifocals.

For the price of a reasonable scope you can get shooting glasses. Even cheaper and a little more convenient is to get the smaller lens and mount it directly behind the back sight. This is possibly the cheapest option to put optics on the rifle.

At that point you are able to shoot in standard 10m matches.

Jason
dt3

Post by dt3 »

Metalnwood, where would I get such a lens and do the come in different powers/magnification? Are there any restrictions on magnification?

Thanks again to everyone, lots of good advice for sure. Upon giving it some more thought I am going to do my best to continue to shoot open sights on this rifle.

Shoot silhouette does appeal to me; however I think I will pursue that game with my AA S400.

In general aren’t air rifles great. They have opened up a whole new world of shooting to me.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

dt3 wrote: where would I get such a lens .
Hardware shop for hardware

Pharmacy for pharmaceuticals

Optician for opticals
just make sure that they know the distance that you need to focus at
metalnwood

Post by metalnwood »

Here is a link to the arrangement I was speaking of

http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... cd6e0fbcaa

I made my own adaptor and used the lens holder from my old shooting glasses. If you were to build your won it would only cost you ~$10 + optics

Jason
dt3

Post by dt3 »

Thanks metalnwood now that I understand the concept I am sure I can come up with something that will work. One might even be able to insert the lens into the rubber sun shade on the rear sight.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Is an 8.2 grain .177 pellet going 550 fps enough energy to knock down a Ram at 45 yards?
You would be suprised .... a nick might spin it, but a solid hit anywhere on the ram will knock it over and flatten the pellet ...