air pistol lubrication

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pcctex

air pistol lubrication

Post by pcctex »

Please excuse if this is a worn out topic.

The available information on lubricating a compressed air pistol is somewhat confusing. Some folks recommend Crossman Pellgun oil. Others say not to use it due to compression pressures and temperatures.
Then there are conflicting discussions about the types of silicon based lube to use, or not to use.

As a complete newbie; I need one of you experienced folks to help clear the fog. I have a Morini 162 EI on the way, and don't want to start out on the wrong foot with it. Once one messes up seals, etc. in an airgun; it can be difficult and costly to remedy the situation.

Thanks to all
pcctex
Philadelphia

Re: air pistol lubrication

Post by Philadelphia »

pcctex wrote:Please excuse if this is a worn out topic.

The available information on lubricating a compressed air pistol is somewhat confusing. Some folks recommend Crossman Pellgun oil. Others say not to use it due to compression pressures and temperatures.
Then there are conflicting discussions about the types of silicon based lube to use, or not to use.

As a complete newbie; I need one of you experienced folks to help clear the fog. I have a Morini 162 EI on the way, and don't want to start out on the wrong foot with it. Once one messes up seals, etc. in an airgun; it can be difficult and costly to remedy the situation.

Thanks to all
pcctex
It all depends on the mechnics of the airgun. A spring piston airgun needs a lube with a very high flash point. A CO2 airgun just needs lube that won't attack the seals. A PCP works at high pressures and not knowing off the top of my head the partial pressure of O2 in air at 200 bar and above, and its effect on lubricants, my gut feel is a PCP should also be lubed with high flashpoint lubricants.

Pelgunoil is not a high flashpoint lubricant.

I can tell you that DOT 5 rated silicone brake fluid is considered non-combustible, has an extrememly high boiling point (around 260 degrees C), and is guaranteed to not harm rubber or leather seals. It is inexpensive and readily available. Would seem to make sense.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I've been shooting a M162 E1 for more than 6 yrs, the only lube I've have applied is a small dab of gun oil on the thread of the cylinder, and a smear silicon grease on the bolt and O ring which push the pellet into the chamber as you close the lever, every 6 months or so. Just check the velocity a couple of weeks ago, still same as the day I got it, about 500f/s with H&N Final Match pellets.

Like cleaning guns, if you ask 3 shooters about it, you get 5 different answers. In general PCP airpistol like M162; LP10 etc need very little lube, unlike the older spring piston gun such as FWB 65.

By all means, keep the moving parts lightly oiled, such as pivot; linkage etc, I wouldn't mess with the innard such as valve, pressure regulator and so on unless you sre sure what you are doing.

Tony
Tolkach

air pistol lubrication

Post by Tolkach »

I have to agree with Tony C.

On my FWB P44 I use TSI-321 (available through our moderator) at the rate of about two drops every tin of pellets. The 321 is synthetic, has a high flash point and is *supposedly* safe on plastics and seals. I use one drop on a soft cloth on the barrel exterior and CA cylinder threads, and maybe one drop on a cleaning patch through the barrel. My owner's manual says to fire felt pellets through the barrel, but I haven't used them.

For the remaining exterior moving parts, I use synthetic grease -- like Anschutz or Feinwerkbau 'special' grease. Probably any synthetic will do, like Shooter's Choice High Tech grease.

For the most part, I really don't worry about cleaning or oiling. The gun is pretty much maintenance (and problem) free.
Last edited by Tolkach on Sat May 23, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Acid free silicone grease on seals, and any reputable gun oil on anything that is not under high gas pressures, such as linkages and exterior surface.