Savage Mark II-FVT .22 rifle replacement stock?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

PaulB

Savage Mark II-FVT .22 rifle replacement stock?

Post by PaulB »

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket wood "target type" rifle stock that would work (with a minimum of fitting) the action of the Savage Mark II-FVT? We find the cheekpiece on the plastic stock to be quite low and difficult to get achieve any type of headpressure on. If you don't know of a replacement stock how about an attachment to go on the stock to raise the cheekpiece height?
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I am not sure of a stock, but these might work for you.

http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

lax
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Or simply build up the comb with pieces of targets and duct tape. Cheap and easily changed as needed.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The laminated stock that Savage sells for the same reciever model has a higher comb than the fiber glass one and definately works better for the older/ larger young shooters. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Kevin6Q

Post by Kevin6Q »

I purchased an FVT for my wife and she hates the stock and is only a casual shooter. I am in the process of building her a new one (practice for making one of my own). I looked into aftermarket stocks and most seem setup for scoped guns. The butt end does not drop enough to accommodate the sights being much closer to the barrel top.
dadmolder

Post by dadmolder »

Check this website.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/index.html

I have been looking at these for a while, contacted them and for an additional $30 they will install an Anshutz rail.

I did fit a Richard's Microfit on this one , but the cheek peice was too high.
Beautiful stock - I just need to tweak the fit.

Currently have my younger shooter using it with the original stock.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

dadmolder,

Thanks for the info on Sharpshooter Supply. I ordered one of their stocks today; they have a great color selection, hard to choose. Unfortunately, their business is so popular that they are running a couple months behind
:(
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

At the club price from the CMP, these look like nice youth training rifles .... with one of the $200 stock add on's, if they shoot, it's still a deal.

What kind of groups are you all getting at 100yd/mtrs?
I have a 4-H program and we shoot 3-P, Silhouette, & Sporter rimfire

Thx,
Joel Martin
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I have not yet had a chance to do any group testing with the gun (MarkII-FVT) I purchased for testing. I did loan the rifle to a friend who did test it and was able to produce x-ring (A-23 target) sized groups at 50 yds. This certainly seems like the only low priced, current production bolt action "target" gun available so I hope it works out. We have money to buy 4 in our most recent FONRA grant. I am hoping that they work out better than the Anschutz 1451's we have been using that have been giving us problems with accuracy and inconsistant and somewhat heavy triggers.
Storz

Post by Storz »

I used one of these on my Savage Mark II-FV (scoped) to raise the comb height and it worked great! I just screwed it right into the factory plastic stock on the Savage.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.as ... ge=1&id=89
TWP

Post by TWP »

Richards Microfit does a 99% inlet, finish it yourself stock for the Mark II Savage.

All Sorts of styles, colors, and options.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/
Boom21

Post by Boom21 »

Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

http://pdccustom.com/index.php?main_pag ... ucts_id=55

This outfit now makes an adjustable stock for the Savage.
sullyho2000

Savage Stock

Post by sullyho2000 »

Boyds Gunstocks has their "Tacticool" stocks available on their website at boydsgunstocks.com. They are listed for the Savage 93 - but that should be the same action as the mk II/mk I.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Boyd's typically unloads its stock 'seconds' for ridiculously low prices. I bought an FVT for summer biathlon about five months ago and picked up a thumbhole sporter stock for less than $50. Because of the way the Williams rear sight is mounted on the left side of the receiver, you should look for seconds marked with the term 'proud metal.' This means that the barrelled action will sit a little bit high; the solution for this is to take some 120 grit sandpaper and sand the inside of the stock to fit the action.

The forend has a nice channel for bedding the barrel in (if you're so inclined.) Also, the forends are wide enough to accomodate an Anschutz rail. I have plenty of pics if that would help.