Prone:what handstop do you prefer?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Prone:what handstop do you prefer?

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone!
As I have already mentioned,it's been almost eight months since I first shot prone and I like it a lot!!!
As a rooky,I ask other shooters,read the Ways of rifle,and trying to built a good position.
A big problem that I have is,after 5(maximum 10 shots),I must lay the rifle because my left hand hearts like hell.
I use the standart(?) Anschutz handrest(can't remember the code...)
It is the one that is cylindrical and can be adjusted in height by screwing/unscrewing it.The diameter is about 3.5 to 4 cm?The sling swivel does not clamps on the hand stop but on a rotating hole in front of the stop.
I've seen some shooters using a smaller diameter handstop(with the sling swivel clamping on it).They say that it fits them better.
What do you prefer and why?
Thank you!
Shooter_dave

Post by Shooter_dave »

Hello tsokasn,

When I first started shooting smallbore, I had the same exact problem in prone. My rifle is an Anschutz 2013 and it came with the 4752 handstop shown on Anschutz's website

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... erKatID=29

I had the opportunity to try out some different handstops and found that I really liked the 4751 handstop. That, combined with a good glove, allows me to shoot through an entire prone series relatively comfortably. I know that the 4751 is a little larger in diameter, but I have fairly large hands, so it fit me really well.

All I can suggest is that you ask some other shooters if you could try out their handstops and see which one feels the best to you.

Good luck,
Dave
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

We like the Jensen & Sons handstop for out juniors. It is small enough to fit their hands, and can be used by right or left handers.

Available from Neil Johnson: http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/Rifle ... s-ss6.html
Jason

Post by Jason »

I used to shoot with the Anschutz 4752 but now I'm using the MEC handstop.

It's a little narrower but it allows me to get my hand just just where I like it. It moves from side-to-side and it can even tilt, but I have mine in a neutral position.

Jason

Post by Guest »

I use the standard Anschutz 4752, however I have it twisted as far to the left as it will go. My rifle has a rather wide fore-end, and I find it more comfortable with the handstop rotataed out. I have also lowered the handstop so the sling doesn't pinch and inserted a wedge (pencil eraser) into the gap between stock and stop.

Tim S
Exeter
UK
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank you all!
So I guess it's a matter of personal preference.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Technically you want a small enough handstop that fits well into your v between and thumb and finger. I would always suggest getting the smallest one as a rule of thumb, but you probably need to try it and see what is most comfortable. If you can get one that can be moved off centre then that may well be a bonus but again not everyone needs that - and it depends on the shape and size of the stock.

Rob.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Anschutz 4751, I use this hand stop on all my position and prone rifles both rimfire and centerfire.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

It may not be the handstop.
It may be a slight adjustment in handstop position.
Move it slightly forward...this should increase pressure on the butt of the rifle and decrease pressure on the handstop.
Make sure its small movements till it balances pressure.
Without being there its tough to judge but alot of my fairly new juniors have this issue.
Its also Free.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Maybe a dumb question but are you wearing a glove ?

The sling should rest across the back of the hand tight, but not so tight it causes such pain. The wide sling combined with a solid glove should spread out the weight pretty well. If you can get it done, then get some pictures of yourself in position and the problematic areas and post them up. Or better still get a coach to watch you and go through your position with you.

Oh and where 'exactly' in your hand do you get the pain ?

Rob.
Jason

Post by Jason »

RobStubbs wrote:If you can get one that can be moved off centre then that may well be a bonus but again not everyone needs that - and it depends on the shape and size of the stock.
Here's a dumb question: what's the advantage of being able to move the handstop off-centre? How does it change your position? I've never been able to think this one through.

Jason

Post by Guest »

[quote="JasonHere's a dumb question: what's the advantage of being able to move the handstop off-centre? How does it change your position? I've never been able to think this one through.

Jason[/quote]

It allows you to adjust where the barrel sits in relation to your hand. I like the stop to sit in the V between my thumb and forefinger; this would be uncomfortable with a centrally placed handstop, as my rifle (a Gemini-Anschutz) has a broad fore-end that pinches the thumb muscle, probably because I also shoot with a cant, so the barrel is tilted a little to the left. Moving the handstop puts the barrel back over my palm.

I think Grunig alu stocks have the accessory rail offset for much the same purpose, as did the Walther GX-1.

I would imagine that lateral adjustment wouldn't be so important with a slim rounded fore-end such as the FWB alu.

Tim S
Exeter UK
Jason

Post by Jason »

Anonymous wrote:It allows you to adjust where the barrel sits in relation to your hand.
Hmm, that makes sense. My left hand has always gone sleep after about 20 rounds, so I wonder if it's due to where the forestock sits on it.

I also like to tuck the handstop into the V of my thumb, and the forestock presses on the meaty part of my palm -- I find that if I slide it to the right my wrist eventually gets sore and flops over to the right.

This is why I prefer the MEC handstop to the 4751/4752 -- I can get it better into my hand.

Jason
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Here I am again(PC problems)
little_doodie,I am not sure if I follow you.If I move the stop a bit forward,the rifle will point lower,right?
RobStubbs,yew I am wearing a glove(new one,without fingertips but non brand,a cheap one)I feel the pain in the center of the V of thump and forefinger.Also,after 20 rounds without putting the rifle down,I loose the sense of my palm,completely.I even can't move any finger(for a minute)The sling sits at the "wrist/palm" connection.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

tsokasn wrote:Here I am again(PC problems)
little_doodie,I am not sure if I follow you.If I move the stop a bit forward,the rifle will point lower,right?
RobStubbs,yew I am wearing a glove(new one,without fingertips but non brand,a cheap one)I feel the pain in the center of the V of thump and forefinger.Also,after 20 rounds without putting the rifle down,I loose the sense of my palm,completely.I even can't move any finger(for a minute)The sling sits at the "wrist/palm" connection.
Ah hah, so it would appear the pain is coming from the hand stop itself ? If so are you forcing your hand into too much and/or is the glove not offering enough support in the right place ?

Rob.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

tsokasn wrote:Here I am again(PC problems)
It may be a tial and error but it will not change the level where it points.
I would move in 1/8-1/4" movements.
You should instantly feel more pressure on your shoulder and less on the handstop.
topshot11

Post by topshot11 »

tsokasn wrote: RobStubbs,yew I am wearing a glove(new one,without fingertips but non brand,a cheap one)I feel the pain in the center of the V of thump and forefinger.Also,after 20 rounds without putting the rifle down,I loose the sense of my palm,completely.I even can't move any finger(for a minute)The sling sits at the "wrist/palm" connection.
i used to get that, it sounds to me like its not in the right place in your hand. my whole hand used to go numb about 5 shots in, but since changing my position slightly, i can do the whole course of fire absolutely fine. a good glove also really helps, and you could maybe try one with fingers, they feel a lot different.
BartP

Post by BartP »

The guys at the Unit use very small handstops. The 4748 is one of them. It's small so that when your hand is put into place, the sling squeezes the hand against the forestock without having the space (skin) between the thumb and index finger become uncomfortable. They are the experts shooting prone "comfortably" as they have to shoot non-stop 60 shot prone matches every day in practice and in matches. I shot with a 4751 for a long time, but the switch to the 4748 was an IMMEDIATE upgrade in comfort and function. bp
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I have used (for about 30 years) an old style Anschutz 4734 sling swivel/handstop turned around "backward" so that I am only using the swivel part for the same reasons that BartP states in the immediate previous post.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

BartP,I can't find any picture of 4748 handstop.

PaulB,I also shoot with a 4734 and I've seen this method(reversed) in Ways of the rifle.
I think I 'll give it a try tomorrow.