too fast

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LeLongCarabine

too fast

Post by LeLongCarabine »

ok guys this is for ap ten metres do i shoot too fast when i shoot a sixty shot card 12x5 i keep going till i finish and i think it could be bad for my scores but i dont really know the correct time for a single shot is it 60seconds or 90 seconds what timing do the rest of you use do you take a break after so many cards id like to know i have just bought a count down timer with large numbers on so i will try that and allow myself 60 seconds for a shot
over to you guys i open to any ideas that help my score
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Shooting an AP60 is not a question of how long it takes (providing you are within the 105 minutes. It's about firing 60 shots (plus sighters) to the best of your ability.

Some shooters will fire each shot within 10 seconds of lifting off the bench, some will be several times that.

Some will abort the shot process very quickly and return to rest, others will rarely abort.

Some will take a short break fairly frequently, others will only take one or two longer breaks during a match, others will not take any breaks at all.

There are no hard and fast rules about the best way to shoot, you have to do what suits you best.

I haven't got the faintest idea how long I take to fire a shot. I go through my shot process and the shot either goes or I abort (hopefully at the first thought that I have been on aim too long - but that doesn't always work).

I tend to take a short break every 5 shots. As someone who now only shoots once every 4 weeks or so I know that I need to take enforced breaks or I will be exhausted by the end of the 60. I normally finish a match in around 90 minutes.

Everyone is different.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

Same question in many shooting sports.
I shoot AP, used to be active in archery; they have much in common. Around 1980 I was among the fastest, during my best period ever. Everybody said it was wrong; I felt confident and there was no stress: "just do it"!
Unsolved technical problems stopped my progress, not fast shooting.
Today this kind of speed is common among international top shooters.

I believe you should never teach yourself to do things wrong!
(Been there done that!). Take the time needed to give each shot your best effort. This means establishing a procedure containing all the elements you've decided to include in each shot and doing each of them properly. This is not easy, but it's the only way of establishing good habits. If you develop the ability to do this fast, OK. But you shouldn't let it deteriorate.

One note that comes from my archery days: you lift your weapon and position the sight in the centre. Quite many of us have a short period just after this when the sights are stable and dead centre; after a few seconds they start to move.......
If everything is fine during this first period, why not just shoot?
I'm not able to do this in AP, but with a bow I could do it, easily.
But I shot a lot then, two long evening sessions (>100 arrows) a week at the club range, competing almost every weekend and some evenings, plus several hundred arrows a week home in my garden. This means that things get deeply automated, and I believe this flawless process is necessary if you want to shoot fast. Top archers do things in a sort of "trance" and wake up after they've finished shooting: some of this probably goes in other disciplines as well. But during the learning process remember: don't teach yourself mistakes!