Steyr LP 10 Stabilizer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Flavio Vieira

Steyr LP 10 Stabilizer

Post by Flavio Vieira »

I use to shoot a Morini 162 EI, and I have bought a Steyr. My problem is: when I shot the pistol, the stabilizer hit hard the sight screw. The screw is marked, because the pistol is used, and the problem must be old.
Some one can help? I have to solve it by myself. I don`t have a Steyr assistence in Brazil.
Sorry for my bad english!

Stabilizer position after shot

Screw hammered by the stabilizer

Overview
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Flávio, this screw was adopted, I think. My LP@ uses the same system and that screw does not protudes like that.

Te cuida
Flavio Vieira

Post by Flavio Vieira »

Jacques,

My wife has a LP10 too. Her gun has the same screw, but the stabilizer doesn`t touch the screw when you fire the gun. In my case, the stabilizer is hammering the screw and he is not stabilizing equally the shot, he is comming too much back.
fkw

Post by fkw »

I think that is the way it should be.

I have a new Steyr LP10 with stabilizer. The screw is there to stop the backward movement of tungsten stabilizer. Looks like it does not belong there. But that is the way it is from Steyr new.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Forget all bellow. Your pistol is all right. At the first look, I tought that your stabilizer was out of the bolt, but then (after writing this doctoral paper...) at a closer look, the photos are the same. My pistol is dirtier from grip sanding...

Just tested my LP@, the screw is the same (sorry), but the stabilizer only touches the screw when you cock the pistol, it serves to move stabilizer back to its starting position.

The first pic shows the screw pushing the stabilizer to its starting position at the front of the bolt, the other two show the stabilizer after the shot.

When I shoot, the stabilizer moves less than a cm, quite far from the screw. It seems that your stabilizer is coming too far. Probably escaped from the retainer, but see the drawing and 3 little springs and balls that you'll prob ably loose when trying to fix... ;-))

There is someone in Sao Paulo, called Berton, that probably will fix it for you. Send me an email to jbgros@terra.com.br and by the end of the day I'll send you his phones.
Attachments
SDC11024 [640x480].JPG
SDC11025 [640x480].JPG
SDC11026 [640x480].JPG
SDC11026 [640x480].JPG (50.97 KiB) Viewed 6025 times
detalhe lp.doc
(54 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
J_Nuke

Instructions for adjusting the stabilizer

Post by J_Nuke »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe2LS9lll0

Here is an instruction how to adjust the stabilizer on a lp10

Would not recomend to do it if you don't know exctly what you are doing.
The settings is related to the muzzle velocity and I don't know how sensitive the stabilizer according to the muzzle velocity is.
TB

Re: Instructions for adjusting the stabilizer

Post by TB »

J_Nuke wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEe2LS9lll0

Here is an instruction how to adjust the stabilizer on a lp10

Would not recomend to do it if you don't know exctly what you are doing.
The settings is related to the muzzle velocity and I don't know how sensitive the stabilizer according to the muzzle velocity is.
Yes that is the video to watch. It is rather easy to do and the setting is not related to muzzle velocity at all. On the video you can see that he doesen't even release air when he test the setting.

The tension in Flavio Vieira's stabiliser spring is too hard. Loosen it according to the instruction video and you will be fine no matter the muzzle velocity of your pistol.
J_Nuke

Stabilizer Lp10

Post by J_Nuke »

If I change the muzzle velocity the I also change the amount of momentum (don't know if the English term is correct, see link) (bevægelsesmængde DK) (rörelsemängd SV). And that must be related to settings of the stabilizer.
If I change one setting, the stabilizer or the muzzle velocity, the stabilizer won't absorb the impulse caused by the movement of the pellet.

p=m*v
p=amount of momentum
m=mass
v=velocity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

Think this is a way you can look at it. Is it correct or have I forgotten something?

Best regards / J
TB

Post by TB »

You are right that the muzzle velocity and the stabilizer setting will have to be related to work as intended. I think I misunderstod you. What I meant was that the muzzle velocity will not have an effect on the specific stabilizer setting. According to Steyr's website the correct muzzele velocity for a LP10 is 155 m/s. I would assume that the stabilizer setting they show in the video is the correct one for 155 m/s