Real on line shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jacques b gros

Real on line shooting

Post by jacques b gros »

There is another post about on line shooting nearby, so this is a quick report of the Brazilian situation. Was written a few weeks ago, but since the idea of the system was being copyrighted I waited until that process was over. Since most of it remains right, let it be. A few more words:

In the near future we will add Field Target to the system, a congress is going to happen next week to figure out a form that can be standartized to be shot all over Brazil. What if we have rain in the south and extreme heath in the north? What about the trade wins in the North East? Questions like these wil have to be answered, among a bunch of others.

When we started the NGB of ISSF shooting had some 1,500 active shooters. Less than two years later, the number is nearing 6,000. Shooting in Brazil is complicated; gun control is in effect (not worst in the world, but very heavy and expensive) and the bureaucracy is king; the leftist government hates guns (probably scared sh...less that the pendulum will swing back one of these days...). Air guns may be the way out for the time being...

Too tired to reread all this, forgive me the eventual mistakes and lousy typing. Happy to give any information someone may want.

I'm Brazilian; started shooting in ‘74 until got booted out of the '80 Olympics, dropping off until June 08. What made me come back was the institution of the Online Matches around here: no more travel on a large and expensive country, and national participation in my home town. It goes the way the postal match pointed: distributed competitions, consolidated results with the new twist that this is in real time. Main difference: is valid for the national ranking and the formation of the national team. It goes, more or less, like this:

1 - National organization defines dates and places for the various national matches, for the next year, and all but a few, special (mili-tary, etc.), are online.

2 - At those dates matches are held around Brazil on chosen venues (under the supervision of a deputy of the national organization.)

3 - The results are fed, during the match, into an internet system that will classify and present, online and as fast as possible, the numbers of each series.

4 - At the end of each modality (in practice, nothing really starts exactly at the same moment, and we're accepting some variation to accommodate local conditions. In my club, where the neighbors legally imposed a not before 10am rule, we start at 10 instead of 9am.) The local and national results are online, and each shooter competes locally and nationally, and the results are entered in the national raking.

This system is being improved in the software and in the organizational sides. We're pushing for advanced online enrollment (less hassle on the range), the senior category was split into three classes (ranking average up to 539 class C, 540 to 562 B, 563 up class A) to give a taste of victory to the beginners and middle level. No fun having to compete with the top from the start...There are also matches for the shotgun crowd, in the same system.

The Brazilian Championship is going to add the ranking average (10 month moving average, to get anomalous, very good or very bad results out of the ranking faster) to the results of the year end Brazilian Championship Match, to be held in Rio de Janeiro, without the online competition. If you're the first in the ranking but don't shoot in Rio, no chance. Lousy ranking and good result in Rio no chance either...

So far we're not shooting everything everywhere, mostly due to lack of manpower, but ASAP we'll introduce all we can. Some non-Olympic modalities (CF, open sighted air rifles (spring, so far) and some others are included to bring people into the sport.

Take a look into the number of shooters that shot in the year's first match, held in 4 states. The number of states does not means only some shooters are in. Brazilian population distribution is uneven. We have to remember that Feb. is holiday season in the southern hemisphere, lots of people off to the beaches. Rather long list, but some shooters shoot Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday. See the attached file.
Attachments
Braz results.doc
(977.5 KiB) Downloaded 325 times