Help elevated groups

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dam8

Help elevated groups

Post by dam8 »

I have been shooting air informally for years now, so not a rookie,
I am on a 22 gallery team and have been shooting consistently better over the years. So I use air for home training. but with in the last few weeks my shot groups have been mostly in the 8 ring( sometimes a 7!) at 12 o clock! I know I'm anticipating the shot,but I can't seem to control it
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are shooting with a 6:00 or sub-6 sight picture, it could also be a sign of looking at the target instead of the front sight.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

That seems to be exactly what I'm doing, Thanks
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One trick that I've found helpful it to put a small colored chalk mark on the back of the front sight to help draw your focus. Don't color the whole back, just apply a small spot. If you can't see every detail of it's shape, you either aren't focusing on the front sight, or need new glasses.

How well this works depends a bit on the geometry of the front sight blade. If it's vertical or slopes forward, it works fine. Some sights are tilted back, and then the chalk mark is in shadow & is hard to see.

Some folks poo poo this dodge, but I've seen it make a big difference for a lot of shooters who are struggling with staying focused on their front sight.
2650 Plus

High shots

Post by 2650 Plus »

Have you considered just centering the group on the ten ring ? I usually consider high shots that I call high to be caused by anticipation because my concentration left sight allignment and went to something like "Its going to go off now " In any case, keep on trying. Good Shooting Bill Horton
dam8

Post by dam8 »

thanks G and Bill!