Pellet trap/ backdrop recommendation

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Negrin

Pellet trap/ backdrop recommendation

Post by Negrin »

Besides the archergun silent duct seal putty wood pellet trap, are there any other quiet pellet trap in the market?

What type of backdrop do the competition match use? Is there any quiet match competition grade backdrop for home use?

Would the 1/2 inch thick kitchen plastic cutting board, angled at 45 degree, suffice as a quiet backdrop?
Negrin

Post by Negrin »

http://www.rika1.com/default.asp?Language=E

Anyone use this ProCatch Pellet Trap before? How much does this trap cost?
Oz

Re: Pellet trap/ backdrop recommendation

Post by Oz »

Negrin wrote:Would the 1/2 inch thick kitchen plastic cutting board, angled at 45 degree, suffice as a quiet backdrop?
Doubtful. It might catch pellets for a while. But would eventually break down. If quiet is the requirement, nothing will be quieter than the duct seal putty based traps. They just require a bit more maintenance.

Honestly, if you get a nice thick steel plate at 45 degrees, they are surprisingly quiet.

I use a fully contained trap, made from sheet metal. It was loud and rang when hit. I put a sandbag on the back (outside) of the target and now it's very quiet. No concerns.
jsealc21

Re: Pellet trap/ backdrop recommendation

Post by jsealc21 »

Oz wrote:
Negrin wrote:Would the 1/2 inch thick kitchen plastic cutting board, angled at 45 degree, suffice as a quiet backdrop?
Doubtful. It might catch pellets for a while. But would eventually break down. If quiet is the requirement, nothing will be quieter than the duct seal putty based traps. They just require a bit more maintenance.

Honestly, if you get a nice thick steel plate at 45 degrees, they are surprisingly quiet.

I use a fully contained trap, made from sheet metal. It was loud and rang when hit. I put a sandbag on the back (outside) of the target and now it's very quiet. No concerns.
the Rika system in the previous post uses a "cutting board" as a backstop...the hi-density polythene can also be backlit to give easy shot location without moving the target. I have built one ...it works great. and cutting boards are cheap !!
Rover

Post by Rover »

There have been some threads on this subject in the past. You could try to find them.

Without a doubt, the quietest and cheapest setup is simply a cardboard box of rags. The longer you use it the better it becomes as the pellets form a large solid wad in the box. About a foot thick is plenty.

For neatness, put the box in a slightly larger box with most of the face cut so you can put up targets with a stick pin or clip.If the smaller box is set back the larger box will catch all the paper and lint.

The rags easily stop any pellet, so you don't need anything else in the box. If you're really anal, put anything in the back. It won't be touched.
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

I built a square box (5mm wood) with very small aliminum channel to hold the target at the front. I fill the box with scrunched up newspaper, lots of it, packed in tight. It's super silent, truly there's no real sound of the pellet coming to rest. The pistol is 10 times louder. Total cost to build the box - about $5. Shame I don't understand how to post a photo.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

John Hadjichristou wrote:I built a square box (5mm wood) with very small aliminum channel to hold the target at the front. I fill the box with scrunched up newspaper, lots of it, packed in tight. It's super silent, truly there's no real sound of the pellet coming to rest. The pistol is 10 times louder. Total cost to build the box - about $5. Shame I don't understand how to post a photo.
Well, I go into WallMart, ask for an empty cardboard box slightly larger than the target, fill it with old news papers and use a paper clip to fix the target. Now it will be improved: rags instead of paper. No more chopped paper on the floor...

And I use these target strips by Kruger, with five centers like this (have no pix of the strip, so this almost "good" shot) in a strip with the height of this pic. Kruger sells a nice holder for it, two targets with a hole for center sandwiching the strip. I just cut two vertical slits in an old target (right over the "6") and staple top and bottom of the slits to adjust for position.
Attachments
SDC10691-1 [800x600].JPG
SDC10691-1 [800x600].JPG (42.34 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
thruxtoncamshaft

Post by thruxtoncamshaft »

What's the hole in the middle for? Thruxton.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Well, ye stik a nail in it so ye can spin it...
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

I built my first pellet trap in wood with putty backing and it was fairly loud. One thing I understood was that most of the noise wasn't from hitting the back of the trap, but rather the sound being trap between hitting the target and hitting the back. Since wood is a very effective sound carrier, it amplified rather than suppressed the sound, sort of an "echo"... I then bought the Gehmann pellet trap, and I am very happy with it. The "echo" sound completely disappeared, I get a very mild, very sharp mute sound which is much better.
Kscott_NZ

Post by Kscott_NZ »

1st time poster, long time lurker :)

My 1st pellet trap was an old stereo speaker, with carpet laid at the back, then a foam strip to stop pellets bouncing back onto the target.

Very, very cheap to make and set up.