how firm should I be holding for free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Hadjichristou

how firm should I be holding for free pistol

Post by John Hadjichristou »

I mostly shoot AP and have been coached to 'lightly hold/grip' the pistol for this discipline. What about free pistol? I have a toz 35. Should this also be 'lightly held' or because it has some recoil, should I be gripping with more pressure?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

What kind of hold allows you the most sight stabilization and allows your trigger finger to move without taking the sights out of alignment? I have been experimenting with my air pistol and find that a pretty firm hold, while I think about keeping my wrist stiff gives me the most consistancy. I personally would not treat your free pistol any differently than your air pistol as the recoil comes after the round has gone down range and you are loading and shooting one round at a time, so no need to realign the sights for a quick second shot as you have to in rapid fire. Isabel.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I hold my AP. Mostly only apply some pressure with middle two fingers. About the same pressure you need to hold a quart of milk.

My FP holds my hand. I may apply a little pressure but my hand is very relaxed. My grip angle is about 40 deg so if I apply more grip pressure my front sight comes up above where it should be.

That works for me. You have to find out what works. Try lots of things and see what works. Something you learn today may work for you a few years from now.