MG2 Troubles.. need some brainstorming

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jipe

Post by jipe »

Richard H wrote:As for the SSP or MG2 having "disruptive innovations", I guess that's your personal opinion. What exactly is disruptive about their innovations?
Loading+magazine assembly on the MG2.

Hammerless and pneumatic amortizing systems of the SSP.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Jipe - I don't want to appear to be attacking you personally here, so please don't take the following comments that way. You've raised some interesting points of view and I only wish to address them from a position of having experience with both the MG-2 and a fairly broad range of other standard pistols.

The longer-barrel pistols may or may not offer improved accuracy over the shorter-barrel pistols. BUT they DO offer a huge performance increase in another critical performance critereon. If you look at a Pardini you'll notice that it's got a TON of weight out on the muzzle. That weight is there to reduce muzzle rise on firing. The muzzle rise on firing generally tends to increase as you shorten the barrel. In this particlar area, the longer barrel on pistols like the MG-2 and AW93 offer an advantage in that one doesn't necessarily need extra muzzle weight in order to provide faster shot-to-shot recovery. I shoot my MG-2 with no additional muzzle weights and find that it has significantly faster shot-to-shot recovery than my Pardini SPE had. That's why I sold the SPE - it just wasn't right (in my hands) for the Rapid Fire event. Its current owner has more success with it than I ever had, and I'm happy for him.

With respect to disruptive innovations, the MG-2 loading system is a huge advantage to me because it allows me to have great flexibility in grip angle while not sacrificing barrel length (see above paragraph to understand why I don't want to sacrifice barrel length). Since I shoot best with an extreme rake angle the MG-2 is indeed a more comfortable pistol to shoot, thanks to its disruptive innovation in loading technique.

Oh yes, one other "disruptive" thing about the MG-2 loading system... Most range officers can't figure out where the magazines are. At one international event I was accused of keeping the mags in my pocket, pre-loaded, which obviously is a contravention of the ISSF rules. The range official who made this accusation was very quickly forced to appologize after I showed him both magazines on the bench, loaded one of them with 5 empty cartridges and then ejected them onto the floor. After this demonstration he clearly understood that an MG-2 is a different animal and that he shouldn't be so fast to jump to conclusions! ;-)
jipe

Post by jipe »

Mark Briggs wrote:The longer-barrel pistols may or may not offer improved accuracy over the shorter-barrel pistols. BUT they DO offer a huge performance increase in another critical performance critereon. If you look at a Pardini you'll notice that it's got a TON of weight out on the muzzle. That weight is there to reduce muzzle rise on firing. The muzzle rise on firing generally tends to increase as you shorten the barrel. In this particlar area, the longer barrel on pistols like the MG-2 and AW93 offer an advantage in that one doesn't necessarily need extra muzzle weight in order to provide faster shot-to-shot recovery. I shoot my MG-2 with no additional muzzle weights and find that it has significantly faster shot-to-shot recovery than my Pardini SPE had. That's why I sold the SPE - it just wasn't right (in my hands) for the Rapid Fire event. Its current owner has more success with it than I ever had, and I'm happy for him.
First, I was not "attacking" the MG2, just try to know what its new technology brings for the shooter besides the fact that its a great piece of engineering.

I agree with you about the evolution of Pardini: more and more muzzle weight (and may be even more in the Shurman RF prototype).

What you say for barrel length is well known and can be easily experienced with revolver: anybody who tried a 2.5" revolver compared to a 4" or 6" knows that effect.

But is the barrel length the main reason for the little muzzle rise of the MG2 ? Other factors like breech weight and low position in the hand also play a role. The MG2 has a lightweight breech. I have a CM22M RF and this one has also very little muzzle rise without having the longest possible barrel (but it is longer than the Pardini) and its weight is very low (lower than the weight of the MG2 I think) but its very low in the hand and it has a lightweight breech.
Mark Briggs wrote:With respect to disruptive innovations, the MG-2 loading system is a huge advantage to me because it allows me to have great flexibility in grip angle while not sacrificing barrel length (see above paragraph to understand why I don't want to sacrifice barrel length). Since I shoot best with an extreme rake angle the MG-2 is indeed a more comfortable pistol to shoot, thanks to its disruptive innovation in loading technique.
Here I totally agree with you, I also like extreme rake that are not possible with a magazine in the grip like in the AW93.

May be one question about the magazine of the MG2: does it influence the pistol balance, i.e. does the pistol balance change when the number of bullets in the magazine changes (this is probably more an issue with the MG4 since .32 is heavier than .22LR) ?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

May be one question about the magazine of the MG2: does it influence the pistol balance, i.e. does the pistol balance change when the number of bullets in the magazine changes (this is probably more an issue with the MG4 since .32 is heavier than .22LR) ?
I have not noticed any change in the balance as the shots are consumed.
This effect is reduced further, as there are only three shots in the magazine at a maximum [ one is in the breech, and the next is ready to be moved upwards and loaded after the first ejection.

I have spent many years using traditional magazines, but I find the tubular design to stand on its own. The only difficulty I have encountered is when using CCI bullets...they are longer, and the fifth is a tight fit, and unless pressed in firmly could release all five into your palm. However, with any european ammunition, there is room to spare after the fifth round is inserted, and premeture ejaculation [ is that politically correct ] never happens. In short, I find it a joy to use.

p.s. I am sure a minor mod would provide room for the longer CCI's
diopter

Post by diopter »

Latest magazines are longer to accomadate the longer US ammo.

I got mine working last night.
Only problem, 1 fired case stovepiped in 100 rounds fired.

Problems where:
Sear spring 2071 too compressed, stretched it out.
Extractor spring 2012 too compressed, stretched it out.
Replaced carrier 2055, thanks Stefano.

Everyone on this side is happy.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I'd agree with deadeye - no perceived change in balance as the magazine empties.

I've tried CCI only a couple of times and haven't had any problems with it feeding in my older mags, but my experience with CCI was not inspiring in terms of "feel" on firing, so I don't use the stuff.

The tubular mag is, in my experience, reliable and convenient. So far I've only had the most inexperienced shooters produce a "rainbow of bullets" when loading the mags. They generally do this exactly once and then learn how to load the mag. Also, I find the mags much easier to load than box magazines - just a lot easier on the fingers.

Jipe - sorry if I implied that you were attacking the MG-2 - I guess I was more intent on making sure you didn't feel I was attacking you. This discussion of the MG-2 and its comparison to other standard pistols is a very valuable exchange of information and opinions/experiences - thanks for continuing to keep it positive and open-minded.

One note - the MG-2 is actually fairly light - about 970 grams (average of my two MG-2's). I know the CM22 is lighter by a little bit. I'm curious to know how you find the lighter pistol performs in the precision stage of Standard Pistol or NRA or similar? Some folks feel the only way to get good precision scores is with a heavier standard pistol. Your observations on this would be appreciated.

Diopter - glad to hear your pistol is up and running! Hope to see you at a match in Ottawa soon!
diopter

Post by diopter »

Should be there for the Victoria day match.
Just can't say yet which day or events just now.
I give Bob Duplesis a lift over there, so we'll see what he wished to do.
I'll see if I can get Jim Sandall to come too.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Mark Briggs wrote:One note - the MG-2 is actually fairly light - about 970 grams (average of my two MG-2's). I know the CM22 is lighter by a little bit. I'm curious to know how you find the lighter pistol performs in the precision stage of Standard Pistol or NRA or similar? Some folks feel the only way to get good precision scores is with a heavier standard pistol. Your observations on this would be appreciated.!
The answer is for myself very simple: I have added two of the three additional weights. Not because of muzzle jump but because of total weight. With those two weights, the total weight is slightly lower than the one you mention and much lower than a Pardini.

The advantage of the lightweight pistol is that you can adjust the weight and balance to your own preferences.
MG2-owner

Well behavin´pistol, eventually...

Post by MG2-owner »

As some of you probably remember, I acquired a Morini CM22RF a few weeks ago. My "reputed" MG2 has "done" time in my gun cabinet since then.
The other day I brought it along with the Morini to the indoor range, for a club session. 70 shots each gun, -not a single malfunction occured...

After four troubled years of MG2 ownership, and three (!) rebuilds, the gun is now showing good manners. Maybe, after all, the MG2 has evolved into a pretty all right gun?
I plan to consume a few thousand rounds through the MG2 during the summer, and I will then bring an endurance report.

Regards.
jipe

Re: Well behavin´pistol, eventually...

Post by jipe »

MG2-owner wrote:As some of you probably remember, I acquired a Morini CM22RF a few weeks ago. My "reputed" MG2 has "done" time in my gun cabinet since then.
The other day I brought it along with the Morini to the indoor range, for a club session. 70 shots each gun, -not a single malfunction occured...
Forgetting the malfunction/reliability issues, how do you compare these two guns shooting wise ?
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

Forget the reliability issues? Four years of same? Ain´t easy....:-)

I have not yet adjusted the buffer of my Morini CM22RF, it still features the factory buffer setting,
Firing both guns the same evening, I noticed the sharper (slightly unpleasant) "slap" at the rear travel of the Morinis bolt. Ammo was Eley Standard (brown tag) and Eley Pistol (yellow tag), standard velocity ammo, a bit on the mild side (relative to Federal/CCI standard vel ammo at least).
I think I could feel the softer retardation of the MG2s bolt at the rear travel. Notice: my MG2 now has the thick, large rubber buffer incorporated (importers modification), and the newer, lighter bolt (not RF bolt, just the last version, lighter standard bolt).

I will adjust the recoil buffer (buffer spring pre-tensioning) of the Morini prior to next firing.
And I will try the mild Lapua Super Club, and even some old, mild Lapua Pistol Match (blue tag), in both guns.
jipe

Post by jipe »

MG2-owner wrote:Forget the reliability issues? Four years of same? Ain´t easy....:-)

I have not yet adjusted the buffer of my Morini CM22RF, it still features the factory buffer setting,
Firing both guns the same evening, I noticed the sharper (slightly unpleasant) "slap" at the rear travel of the Morinis bolt. Ammo was Eley Standard (brown tag) and Eley Pistol (yellow tag), standard velocity ammo, a bit on the mild side (relative to Federal/CCI standard vel ammo at least).
I think I could feel the softer retardation of the MG2s bolt at the rear travel. Notice: my MG2 now has the thick, large rubber buffer incorporated (importers modification), and the newer, lighter bolt (not RF bolt, just the last version, lighter standard bolt).

I will adjust the recoil buffer (buffer spring pre-tensioning) of the Morini prior to next firing.
And I will try the mild Lapua Super Club, and even some old, mild Lapua Pistol Match (blue tag), in both guns.
Thanks for the fast response. For information, I never had the need to adjust the buffer spring even using different ammon from CCI standard to soft SK and also the same Eley Pistol (yellow box, old model). Is the muzzel flip different for the two pistols ?

And the other points: trigger, sights, position in the hand...

P.S. while saying forgetiing relaibility issue, I was meaning not comparing that point since the issues were already discussed. I fully understand that it cannot be forgotten.
MG2-owner

Got my new MG5 the other day..

Post by MG2-owner »

Hi, folks.
Me, the owner of what is probably the most "famous" MG2 of all times ordered a new "pistola libera" some weeks ago. The other day my new MG5 arrived.
It has got the looks..
The grip ordered, medium size, was much larger than the medium grip of my MG2. Have not fired my MG5 yet, just done some dry firing.
I´ll keep you posted..
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

MG2-Owner,

If you don't mind me suggesting, can you start a new thread for your feedback on the MG5. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear more about the MG5, as I've shot an FP10 and own a MG1e.

I hope this MG product serves you well,

Brian
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

As a last word from me on the MG2---I am amazed at the persistence of owners of the MG2. You guys are like monks in your patience with such a totally flawed gun from it's inception. I owned one for two weeks and Don Nygord bought it back from me based on orders from the chief in Italy. But I do watch in amazement as my Northern neighbors swing in the wind with that gun. The CM22 also was a near disaster when it first appeared---in fact it soon disappeared and Nygord was going to assemble them from parts and sell them here in the US under his name---never got off the ground. I have been through several standard pistols Italian, French, German etc. and the best I have had the pleasure to use to this day, is the Pardini SP. My hat's off to you guys with your MG2's---I am jealous as I loved every inch of that madman's engineering, but I couldn't deal with owning an "alibi gun." "Doc"
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yawn - as if anybody cared. You don't like it, so what. I tracked the last series of 6 factory refurb MG2's that came to Switzerland, and every single one of them works, right out of the box. I've seen Pardini and others do much worse. Stefano does a fantastic service (contrary to almost every other manufacturer - you ever tried to get some special part directly from Pardini?) and the company is growing, also unlike almost every other. So, everyone shoots what he likes, but stop yammering away - or we will begin to think that you're still regretting selling that MG2... (hint: google "cognitive dissonance"...)
TB

Post by TB »

Bob-Riegl wrote:As a last word from me on the MG2---I am amazed at the persistence of owners of the MG2. You guys are like monks in your patience with such a totally flawed gun from it's inception. I owned one for two weeks and Don Nygord bought it back from me based on orders from the chief in Italy. But I do watch in amazement as my Northern neighbors swing in the wind with that gun. The CM22 also was a near disaster when it first appeared---in fact it soon disappeared and Nygord was going to assemble them from parts and sell them here in the US under his name---never got off the ground. I have been through several standard pistols Italian, French, German etc. and the best I have had the pleasure to use to this day, is the Pardini SP. My hat's off to you guys with your MG2's---I am jealous as I loved every inch of that madman's engineering, but I couldn't deal with owning an "alibi gun." "Doc"
It is the usual "once a bad gun always a bad gun" rubbish. How long time is it since you had your MG2? A lot have happend with the MG2 since it came to market, in the last couple of years it has been as reliable as any other match pistol.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Sorry to bore you Tycho & TB I guess my sympathies will no longer lie with either of you---I must then really re-examine the issues as to why there have been thousands of words written here re: MG2---99.9% of them involving "issues"----my bad---"enjoy" your MG2's forever---bye!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Bob-Riegl

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a last word from me on the MG2---

You promised Bob-Riegl........time to honour that promise.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

You got it buddy!!!! My lips are sealed---zip----bye!