my izh35 shoots in bursts

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gfrad

my izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by gfrad »

when i use 22 magtech ammo my izh35 shoots with no problems when i use cci or american eagle ammo my gun shoots in full bursts emptying 5 shot clip most of times ,the gun was bought brand new it has 99 stamped on it meaning 1999 model does anyone know of this proplem and the soluution
GOVTMODEL

Re: my izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by GOVTMODEL »

gfrad wrote:when i use 22 magtech ammo my izh35 shoots with no problems when i use cci or american eagle ammo my gun shoots in full bursts emptying 5 shot clip most of times ,the gun was bought brand new it has 99 stamped on it meaning 1999 model does anyone know of this proplem and the soluution
Not uncommon in the IZH 35. IIRC, the problem is headspace. Contact EAA.

Other candidates causes include a sticking firing pin.
gfrad

izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by gfrad »

just droped it off @ my gunsmith,the gun was also firing wen i would load it and just release the slide without guiding it
gfrad

izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by gfrad »

thanks govtmodel could it be anything else beacuase wen i use magtech ammo it shoots without problems except for acouple os jams but no bursts as with other ammo
David Levene

Re: izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by David Levene »

gfrad wrote:thanks govtmodel could it be anything else beacuase wen i use magtech ammo it shoots without problems except for acouple os jams but no bursts as with other ammo
It certainly sounds like a head space or firing pin problem to me.

Not all ammunition is created equal.
GOVTMODEL

Re: izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by GOVTMODEL »

gfrad wrote:thanks govtmodel could it be anything else because when i use magtech ammo it shoots without problems except for a couple of jams but no bursts as with other ammo
Yes, it could be something else, but headspace and firing pin problems have been pretty common in the IZH35, so that's the first place to look.

Ammunition with a relatively thin rim will be less likely to slam fire than ammunition with a relatively thick rim. We're talking in terms of 0.003" to 0.005" difference, so this isn't something you'll see with a naked eye. Someone will need a headspace gauge.
gfrad

izh35 shoots in bursts

Post by gfrad »

thanks for your information
AlexLand

Possible fixes to IZH-35 shooting in auto

Post by AlexLand »

Well, I did a couple of things. First the ejection pin was a little bent and had a sharp edge on it. I gently took it off with a fine file. You may not have it on yours, it was a burr. Next and more important, I filed off the right side of the barrel where the ejection pin engages the rim. It is very sharp and most likely fires the cartridge by hitting the rim from behind. Don't go too aggressive. Just file a few mils (0.001") of it then try to shoot and do it again. Having done this it never happened to me again after 5-10 thousand rounds.

Finally, it all happens because russians use steel ammo with thinner casing so the headspace for IZH-35 is tighter. I measured rim thickness for several ammo types and the thinner the rim the better the ammo for IZH-35.

RWS Target Rifle 40.3
Wolf Match Target 41.7
SK Standard Plus 42.3
Fiocchi 22HVCHP 42.7
Eley Sport 43.1
Federal 510 44.2

Also, DO NOT, file off the firing pin as some web pages suggest.
Good luck...

Post by Guest »

Frankly I'd focus on finding brands of ammo that fire reliably rather than mucking w/ the pistol. I don't know that EAA even works on these any longer, and it's not a job for your average gunsmith.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Definitely try another ammo, but if you can't get support f/EAA then file small amount of material from face of bolt to increase headspace. If you don't have the confidence..no shame and don't touch it. Your gunsmith should be able to do this. I had the same issue and with moderate work have a 100% gun with CCI ammo. Good luck and you'll get there.
j-team

Post by j-team »

I thought slightly increasing sear engagement would have been mentioned earlier.

Thats what I would look at.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Lammy1000 wrote: then file small amount of material from face of bolt to increase headspace. .
DON"T FILE THE BOLT FACE!

That will decrease the headspace!!!!!!!!!!!
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Apparently I filed the bolt recess to fix my problem. Sorry for the wrong terminolog.
tenex

Post by tenex »

About 60% of the IZH-35's I know of have doubled. I sent one back to EAA and they machined a counter bore in the barrel to give the cartridge head a little more head space. Looks like a pretty good solution, I assume it's easier than machining the bolt.

I would think that even though EAA no longer imports these, they could probably perform the fix.

Steve.