MG2 Troubles.. need some brainstorming

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mark I know of a few with the SSP early adopters received good factory support, with replacement parts (once the problems had been identified and fixes found). The last few SSP's have been flawless.

Like the MG2 these are new pistols, more complex than previous pistols, and there obviously is a learning curve for both the manufacture and shooter. I'm glad to see that both MG2 and Walther have supported their designs.

No amount of pre-production testing can find production problems, especially with items that really are a small niche market.
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

John Wingaard wrote: the Matchguns company was about to ask for protection under "Chapter 11".
They stopped production of new frames in december last year, and are now assembling a few guns from the stock of spare parts.
According to the Walther Gehman company, a large MG distributor, - at this very day, the MG company is up and running. And, still according to Gehman, MG2-frames are in production, as usual.
TB

Post by TB »

MG2-owner wrote:
John Wingaard wrote: the Matchguns company was about to ask for protection under "Chapter 11".
They stopped production of new frames in december last year, and are now assembling a few guns from the stock of spare parts.
According to the Walther Gehman company, a large MG distributor, - at this very day, the MG company is up and running. And, still according to Gehman, MG2-frames are in production, as usual.
A usefull post by MG2-owner. Rare but nice for a change....
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

TB wrote:
Nice, of course!

Please do note that I´ve never degraded myself using rude language.
In fact, some opponents have repeatedly done so, but I´ve always ignored posts containing crude language.

As I´ve previously stated , I am absolutely neutral to the MG2.
Four years ago, I acquired my MG2. However, there´ve been quite a few issues, to say the least...

Finally, my intention has been just to report correctly, in detail, the difficulties I´ve been facing using my MG2.

Nothing added, nothing subtracted.

rgds
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

MG2-owner wrote:
TB wrote:
Nice, of course!

Please do note that I´ve never degraded myself using rude language.
In fact, some opponents have repeatedly done so, but I´ve always ignored posts containing crude language.

As I´ve previously stated , I am absolutely neutral to the MG2.
Four years ago, I acquired my MG2. However, there´ve been quite a few issues, to say the least...

Finally, my intention has been just to report correctly, in detail, the difficulties I´ve been facing using my MG2.

Nothing added, nothing subtracted.

rgds
Wow, if that's your neutral, I'd hate to see your negative ;)
jbshooter

walther ssp

Post by jbshooter »

What went wrong on the early versions of this gun?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

What went wrong with the early versions of this gun - the Walther SSP, not the MG2?
jipe

Post by jipe »

jbshooter wrote:What went wrong with the early versions of this gun - the Walther SSP,
The one I know:
- trigger adjustments that do not remain constant
- same for sights adjustments
- bullet insertion problems. These seems to be linked to the loader that is a kind a double stack and is quite difficult to load. It is pretty easy, especially under the stress of a match, to insert the bullets in a wrong way that causes malfunction.
- 3D grip system problems (especially with left hand grip).

What Walther did to solve the issues is not very clear. Walther has a pretty bad reputation for after sale support !

Unfair to Walther

Post by 556 »

jipe wrote: Walther has a pretty bad reputation for after sale support !
Walther has good customer support, usually.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Since when? Or, where? You ever tried to get spares for a CP5, or a Walther FP? You ever tried (in the good old times) to get a new barrel for your OSP, because the old one's chamber balloned up after some thousands shots? How long did it take them to get the LP300 trigger right? Did you read all the posts about the "new style" Hammerli support? You ever tried to complain to Walther about your SSP? Friend of mine did, with the usual non-response. Yeah, well, he doesn't shoot 590, either, so he can't be entitled to have an opinion - but, IMHO, rear sights falling off are a pretty strong argument... He finally switched to a MG2 and is a happy customer now ;-) You might live in a place with a good importer/dealer/gunsmith, but here in central western Europe I'd rate Walther among the worst companies regarding their customer service...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hammerli support was a joke prior to Walther taking it over, they didn't even show up at World Cups. I've never had problems getting parts for my GSP's either from local sources or directly from Sven at Walther. Sometimes it's about knowing who to complain to, complaining to the sales guys at Walther is a waste, you have to go to the sports service department. If complaining to the wrong people at Walther you will get just left behind they are one of the more successful gun manufactures that are still making target guns and target guns are a minute part of their business.

The FP well I think they even think that whole thing was a big mistake, they didn't make the electronics the company that did disappeared and they had no real way to support it. It was very badly handled, but complaining about that is the same as MG2 owner still clinging to problems with the MG2 from the past. I've gotten a new barrel for my GSP, which I could see why it would different for an OSP.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

When my SP-20 .22 slide broke in two last fall, I tried to email pictures of it to Hammerli using the email address on their website. It bounced back as undeliverable. Not very encouraging. I didn't bother to pursue the matter.

Anyway, I bought an MG-2 as a replacement. It's been great through about 3,000 rounds so far.
Paul Ha

Walther factory support

Post by Paul Ha »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to report one personal experience with the Walther FP that happened in the '80s. When my then one-and-only Walther FP repeatedly failed in various fashions requiring frequent air-shipments back to Germany for repairs; and not willing to reinvest the untold number of hours to try to get the grip right for another brand name fp, I bought two more new Walther FPs from Bob Grieder, without grips, so that I would have one to shoot, one to act as a back-up, and one to be on its way between Colorado Springs and Germany getting fixed, on a rotational basis.

Later on, when Walther factory told me that my first Walther FP was beyond repair because its electronics was not made anymore by their subcontractor in Black Forest, I wrote back and told them that what I bought was a Walther FP, where they got their components was their business, and what they would trash is the name Walther if their support was not available.

I was totally taken by surprise when I received the package for my 'well-used' Walther FP --- it was a brand-new, and complete, Walther FP (I never did any package shipment with my grips). Included with the new FP was a short apology from the Factory thanking me for using their product and stating that this was the best they could do.

I have no idea what, if any, changes have happened to Walther's factory support over the last 20+ years; since I stopped shooting for the next 20 years. It was a pleasant surprise back then.

Paul Ha.
kalz

The voice of Matchguns

Post by kalz »

Dear Shooters,
I read with attention all the forum.
I think is time to give you some official informations.

1) the financial of the Company is positive and very solid.

2) sometimes we have frames with low serial numbers so instead to through them away we prefere to refurbish them and to offer reliable pistols at cheaper price.

3) our lines are always open to listen and help our customers.

Stefano
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

That's great news glad to hear MG is doing well.

Hope to see a few more MG2's at some World Cups this quad.

Re: Walther factory support

Post by 556 »

Paul Ha wrote: Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was totally taken by surprise when I received the package for my 'well-used' Walther FP --- it was a brand-new, and complete, Walther FP (I never did any package shipment with my grips). Included with the new FP was a short apology from the Factory thanking me for using their product and stating that this was the best they could do.

Paul Ha.
I´ve just told you so: Carl Walther factory support is usually positive.

Any MG2 at any World Cup?

Post by 556 »

Richard H wrote:That's great news glad to hear MG is doing well.

Hope to see a few more MG2's at some World Cups this quad.
I hope, and expect, to see MG2s at some World Cup in the future.
Maybe I have just missed the info: In which, if any, World Cup has any MG2 ever been used?
I´m not negative, just curious.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

There was at least one that I remember at the last WC at Ft. Benning being used in womens sport pistol.
David Levene

Re: Any MG2 at any World Cup?

Post by David Levene »

556 wrote:Maybe I have just missed the info: In which, if any, World Cup has any MG2 ever been used?
Rio de Janeiro 2008

http://www.issf-shooting.com/javascript ... SP_2.jpg#4

Because there are no official listings of equipment used you have to trawl through the archives to find details. Happy hunting.

Re: Any MG2 at any World Cup?

Post by 556 »

David Levene wrote:
556 wrote:Maybe I have just missed the info: In which, if any, World Cup has any MG2 ever been used?
Rio de Janeiro 2008

http://www.issf-shooting.com/javascript ... SP_2.jpg#4

Because there are no official listings of equipment used you have to trawl through the archives to find details. Happy hunting.
I have started hunting!
You have to excuse for my lack of knowledge, but the shooting in Rio in 2008 is not listed as a World Cup in the ISSF calendar for 2008:
http://www.issf-shooting.com/default.as ... =10&inst=1

Can you help me here?