IZH46M issues

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
stubbicatt

IZH46M issues

Post by stubbicatt »

All: I bought a IZH46M air pistol for my birthday.

It has issues.

Initially, and most troubling, is that often after charging the air cylinder (pump one time) and placing a pellet in the chamber, when I go to lower the lever to seal the breach, I hear air escaping. How to fix this?

Secondly, rookie question, but I bought a whole bunch of pellets from Archer Airguns, they are made in China. I also bought a tin of Crossman pellets. All are wadcutter in design. Is it possible that erratic shots way off call could be caused by these pellets?

Now I'm no olympic class shooter by any means, but generally when I call a shot it is pretty darn close. Sometimes these things are way off call, and I'm concerned whether it is the pistol or the pellet.

--'Course, it could be me, but my calls are generally pretty good.

Thirdly, where does one lubricate this thing? The instruction manual mentions a "special vent hole" but darned if I can find it. All I find is the hole which feeds air into the breech when you pull the trigger.

Lastly, could it be the pistol? I am not entirely satisfied with the example I have, and have lost a lot of confidence due to this erratic performance.

Thanks in advance all for the knowing suggestions.
Bill177

Izzy

Post by Bill177 »

1. Are you moving the charging arm as far as it will go when you cock it? The breach cover should pop fully open if you are. If it doesn't, then pull it up all the way manually until it clicks - then cock. There should be no air sound.

2. I have no direct experience with any specific Chinese pellets, but quality does count. I use Vogels in my Izzy. that way, I know flyers will be caused by me and not by the pellets.

3. It is possible a sight could be loose - check the gun for overall tightness of everything.

4. A couple of drops of "PellGun Oil" into the cylinder when you have it fully open while cocking. You will see a small opening on the bottom of the gun when the cocking lever is fully extended - it will be at the end of the piston closest to the breach. Use oil sparingly - a couple of drops after a tin of pellets will be fine.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

I have the older IZH-46 and it has been flawless. Replacing seals ....check here: http://www.airguninfo.com/46disassembly.htm

Have you lubed the seals with crosman pellgubn oil?
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

I thank you for your help. I am sending it back to EAA tomorrow. Perhaps they can fix it.

Now when I open the charging handle to pump it up, the breach won't open all the way. Something is dreadfully wrong with this thing.

The hissing of air typically happens when I begin to lower the breach lever to the "fire" position. Just after it comes off of vertical the thing starts leaking air.

Groan.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

I would like to think it may be as simple as a pin in the linkage has drited out of position, limiting movement of the articulating arm. You would likely have already noticed this. I believe EAA will straighten this situation out and you will have a great shooting pistol soon. Good luck and please keep us informed.

Post by Guest »

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... ht=izh+46m This guy seemed to have the same problem as you.
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

I got as far as disassembling the piston but I haven't ventured into the inner workings of the valve etc. I am not an experienced air gun guy, and just don't have the knowledge or confidence to attempt to take apart the valving.

Instead I'll spend $30 or so to ship it back.

This is frustrating.
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

Wow. Great service from EAA. They received the pistol and fixed it and returned it within 10 days of me placing it in the mail.

I had no idea how badly the malfunctions were disturbing my Chi. Once back and re-zeroed, my performance increased dramatically.The elevation woes I had been experiencing ended. I guess the inconsistencies in air pressure were causing huge flyers and other issues where shots were waaaaay off call.

Now. I am content.

+1 EAA
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

I also had good experiences with EAA in terms of parts ordering.

Also, based on how crowded my local gun store was yesterday with people actally buying products, I only wish I had followed my dream of being a gunsmith / retailer.
Ken TN

Same Problem

Post by Ken TN »

I just got a replacment 46M from EEA and am having a simular problem.
Great customer service, I sent in a 7 year old gun and got a free replacment. Best Air Gun made for the value!

I will call them in the Morning and hope it is something I can fix myself with out having to ship it back.

Ken TN
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

One thing you guys might want to know when ordering replacement parts for the 46M is that some of the part numbers on the EEA website don't correspond correctly with the parts in the diagram. You can check it out here http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-izh46lg.html . For example part 39 is listed as the sight base, where in the diagram it is clearly something else. Just a heads up for anyone in need of IZH 46 parts. Other than that, EEA has excellent service and took care of my parts mix up within 10 days as well.