Toz barrel size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

Toz barrel size

Post by Muffo »

So im going to put a blow-out compensator on my toz. the morini barrel is 15mm. I was under the impression that the toz was smaller. Its a bit hard to measure as it isnt round. I measured it with a micrometer and it varied from 14.8 to 15mm Does any1 know the actual size
j-team

Post by j-team »

You need to remove the frontsight body completely. Under that you will find a short length of reduced diameter that will be true. The ramp and the band are actually one peice.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

thats on the 35M not the 35
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Are we talking TOZ 35?

Aren't you going to have to remove the front sight anyway to fit the compensator?

The exploded parts diagrams and the GA drawing I have for the 35 (not M) shows the front sight body, 'band' and ramp to be a single 'lump', apparently permanently fixed to the barrel. The sight body is not listed as a separate item in the parts inventory. The GA drawing shows the barrel reduced in diameter under the 'band' part of the sight body. It looks as though the ramp sits on a flat milled on the top of the barrel.

On my 35, I can just make out the join between barrel and 'band': the band is about 17.5mm long. The GA drawing shows the short bit of barrel in front of the sight body and band continues under the whole length of the band. This is the 'reduced in diameter' part of the barrel in the para above. I haven't checked to see if this is concentric with the bore. Probably shouldn't assume it is.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Muffo wrote:thats on the 35M not the 35
The only difference is they didn't bother to reduce the band down to match the barrel on the 35M like they did on the 35. Just one less operation to save time in manufacture.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:Are we talking TOZ 35?

Aren't you going to have to remove the front sight anyway to fit the compensator?

The exploded parts diagrams and the GA drawing I have for the 35 (not M) shows the front sight body, 'band' and ramp to be a single 'lump', apparently permanently fixed to the barrel. The sight body is not listed as a separate item in the parts inventory. The GA drawing shows the barrel reduced in diameter under the 'band' part of the sight body. It looks as though the ramp sits on a flat milled on the top of the barrel.

On my 35, I can just make out the join between barrel and 'band': the band is about 17.5mm long. The GA drawing shows the short bit of barrel in front of the sight body and band continues under the whole length of the band. This is the 'reduced in diameter' part of the barrel in the para above. I haven't checked to see if this is concentric with the bore. Probably shouldn't assume it is.
the sight is simply soldered on without a band i will heat it up to remove it or cut it off
j-team

Post by j-team »

muffo

I look forward to you saying "Gee, you guys were right, the front sight is attached via a band" After you try to remove it.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

j-team wrote:muffo

I look forward to you saying "Gee, you guys were right, the front sight is attached via a band" After you try to remove it.
Where is the band
Attachments
PICT0177 smaller.jpg
PICT0177 smaller.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
j-team

Post by j-team »

Shooting Kiwi wrote: can just make out the join between barrel and 'band': the band is about 17.5mm long. .
muffo,

Didn't you read that bit by "shooting kiwi"

Look closer and re-read the other posts. It has been skillfully blended into the same diameter as the barrel. They just didn't bother blending the 35M (as I've already tried to tell you!).

But, you know, you've just got your first TOZ so you probably know more about them than me as I've only been using and modifying them for 23 years.
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

As shooting Kiwi and J-team state, it is a band that extends back to a line that encircles the barrel, just below where the serrations on the front sight ramp begins. If you remove it with heat, make an attempt to control the heat. Apply the heat to the ramp and band and use heat soak paste or wet rags to prevent overheating the actual barrel. Take a lot of pictures and keep us posted how it goes.

toznerd
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

j-team wrote:
Shooting Kiwi wrote: can just make out the join between barrel and 'band': the band is about 17.5mm long. .
muffo,

Didn't you read that bit by "shooting kiwi"

Look closer and re-read the other posts. It has been skillfully blended into the same diameter as the barrel. They just didn't bother blending the 35M (as I've already tried to tell you!).

But, you know, you've just got your first TOZ so you probably know more about them than me as I've only been using and modifying them for 23 years.
You are both right and wrong I have just got my first toz and i dont know more than you as really i know pritty much nothing about pistols. So what you guys are saying is just at the back of the sight ramp is the join but its not actually vissable. this would explain the slightly different colour you can see in the photo. I wont do the heating my self my father will do it as he knows what he is doing. Do you think it would be bettter to leave the sleeve on and cut the sight off seen the outside diameter is the same size as the morini

Post by Guest »

Muffo,

Leave the poor TOZ alone.

From your posts, it's not at all clear that you know what you're doing. I'd bet a year's pay that your messing around with a muzzle brake (NOT 'BREAK'!) or compensator won't make any difference to your accuracy. The standard pistol will be far more accurate than you are. Only when your ability has reached a maximum, in, perhaps, a few years and many thousand rounds, should you consider trying to improve the pistol.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Is this any clearer?

If you just saw it off you will be left with a groove in the top of the barrel behind where the band stops. This groove (below the ramp) is to keep the sight body aligned vertical. Part of the ramp extends down into this.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

crystal. dam thats a pain
Chris

Post by Chris »

Could you not attach a comp to the front end of your 35 with out removing the front sight ramp/holder at all? You will just have to remove the front sight itself. The comp would need a slot at the top of it. It would give you a good Key way to align it should you need to take it off and clean it. This would be the best way to try it out and not damage your pistol.

I have often thought of wanting to put a comp on my toz-35M but I know the scores I have shot with it and also the scores the Toz has produced and if I want a FP with a comp I will just save up and get a Morini. Some times you just need to not fit it if it ain't broke.

A standard Toz was used to set the current WR with Finals...the only mod was lots of holes drilled in the grip.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

But. the person shooting that standard toz would have been using queit expensive ammo. If you can shoot cheaper ammo that will group nearly as well you save lots of money.
Chris

Post by Chris »

In case you had not noticed the 10 ring is HUGE on the FP target and you do not need top of the line ammo to shoot FP and shoot good scores. I do not think a comp is going to make bad ammo shoot so much better that you would use it in matches. You can save a lot by only using your good ammo for matches. 500 rounds of expensive stuff can last awhile.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I use cheap ammo in matches without a comp so why not make it more accurate
ronpistolero

Toz barrel size

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Muffo,

You probably have seen this when I posted it sometime Nov '08; I'm just refreshing your thoughts as it would be a lot easier to do than to have to remove the sight altogether. just a suggestion :-)

viewtopic.php?t=19960

Regards,

Ron