Looking For Air Rifle Matches near North Carolina, USA

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Guest in NC

Looking For Air Rifle Matches near North Carolina, USA

Post by Guest in NC »

I have looked through the CMP and USAShooting Websights and I can not find any matches. Other than Junior Matches in or near North Carolina. I dont mind driving even longer distances.

Anyone aware of any 10 meter matches in the area or surrounding area.

Thank you.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

If you can't find any then run some.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

We're a bit light on the 10m matches here. Take a look at Yorktown, VA for some air rifle match they'll be running over the next month or two. I'm personally attending the air rifle sectional in Spartanburg, SC next weekend.

Sir Walter Gun Club in Creedmoor, NC will be running outdoor smallbore prone and 3P matches starting in March. Our big matches, State Championships, are May (prone) and July (3P).

Asheville Rifle and Pistol Club will have 3-4 matches over the course of the year, with the best to attend being the Blackhawk Open over Memorial Day weekend in May. Check out blackhawkrifleclub.org for info on that, it should be posted sometime soon. At the very least, you can see the info from last year including the scores. Most of the best prone shooters in the country attend.

Palmetto Gun Club in Summerville, SC also runs monthly prone matches. They run larger matches in April and November.

Hope this helps.
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Were in NC are you located?

Ole Mill Range in Griffin GA

NC 4-H has a state match in Sept. at Millstone 4-H Camp near Ellerbe, NC

My 4-H group (Western NC) does mostly Postal matches due to the distance from a range (min 4 hr. drive)

Walther101
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Ya, your relative location in NC would be helpful. We're really surrounded by matches.

Walther, could you PM me about your program. I'm not very familiar with 4H and 'm interested in the postal matches you compete in. Thanks.
Scott NC

NC

Post by Scott NC »

I live in Winston-Salem,NC also, and a couple of years ago I wanted to get into air rifle. Before buying a rifle I did what you did which was try to find matches that were fairly local. I was dissapointed when I found that the few air rifle matches I did find seemed to be directed at juniors and not adults (I'm still baffled about this).

After finding this out I bought a used Anschutz rifle and shot smallbore matches at Sir Walter Gun Club in Raleigh and had lots of fun. They have monthly smallbore matches and have a really nice range. They are very welcoming to beginners also. I hurt my shoulder playing softball a couple of years ago and had to stop shooting but am planning on getting back into it this year.

Sell your air rifle and get a rifle to shoot smallbore. There's a lot more match opportunities out there. It's a shame that there isn't more air rifle stuff out there. It would be a great thing to do indoors during winter.
Guest in NC

Post by Guest in NC »

Thanks for the replies. I am located in Hope Mills, NC fairly close to Fort Bragg, NC.

I too have noticed that all matches in this area seem to be for juniors.

I own two smallbore rifles and used to compete in 3 position as well. I would like to shoot air because I am able to practice that more and have established myself a goal that I will accomplish. I need matches in the SouthEast though.

Thanks for all your help. I am still looking.