1 rifle for 2 shooters lefty/righty

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

stevehdz

1 rifle for 2 shooters lefty/righty

Post by stevehdz »

Here's a question. I have 2 youth shooters, 8yr old girl and 11yr old boy. the girl is a lefty and the boy is a righty. At the club we practice there are rifles for them to use. My girl is using a lefty precision anshutz which is too big for her though. She uses a rest. I'd like to purchase a sporter class air rifle for them BOTH to use at home. (instead of one rifle for each). I'd like something that is easy for each to load. If the bolt action is on the right side my daughter would have a rough time. I'm trying to find something that can be used by both without having to reposition the bolt or stocks.

Does anyone have suggestions?

club link
http://bayviewrodandgunclub.tripod.com/ ... am_nj.html
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Well .... almost all sporters are what you would call Rt handed.

The only one that is semi-"neutral" is the Crosman-2000 ... that's what my oldest daughter started on .... it's a decent rifle, but after they hit 12-13 you'll want them on a XSV-40 or an 888/887 if they stay in sporter.

The 888 is not too bad for a lefty, but if they are not too serious on competition yet, the Crosman is a good starter

My $0.02
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Not sure how much you're looking to spend, but I found this at Champion's Choice:

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=T200

I'm not too fluent in sporter though.
Thomas Monto

Rifles

Post by Thomas Monto »

Check the CMP website, they have several that fill your needs.
TM
stevehdz

t200 sporter

Post by stevehdz »

I did look at that T200 sporter and it's my number one pick right now. The bolt can be changed to either side which is great. But to change you have to unscrew it. I might try to come up with a quick release system to make it easier to change. I like that it is pretty small in size. My daughter could handle it. My son shoots the Daisy Avanti version and he likes it a lot.

I do like the Edge rifle but there is a problem with it being vaporware right now.
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

The T200 is a good rifle. My two boys (11 and 9) use it. There might be one concern for your daughter. The reach from the grip to the trigger is long. It may stretch her hand and the over all length of pull is prohibative in some positions. My 9 yr old could not shoot it in kneeling or sitting position because he could not reach the rigger. I would try one if you could, but the rifle is accurate. Shoot me an e-mail if I can help with more info on the T200.
Last edited by sakoarms on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

One thing to note on the T200, the stock is a bit (1" or so if I remember right) than the XSV-40 ... might want to put the smallest on the Daisy & the oldest on the T200.

I have 3 XSV-40's in my program and I use them with my smallest shooters (8-10 or so) for the very reason s that they are short stocks and are lightweight.
stevehdz

Altering stock

Post by stevehdz »

Hmmm.. I guess that leaves the question, If I cut off the extra inch or alter the stock in other ways to fit properly, does this invalidate the rifle for competitions?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

No, stock length alterations are allowed.
I have 2 888's that I have about 4 stocks for ... all chopped to accomodate the younger shooters.

Look at rule 4.2.4 for the allowed stock alterations

You should however grind down the buttplate after you re-install as the buttplate should follow the line of the stock if nothing else for esthetic purposes
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

I think you will be fine to alter the stock to fit. If you are shooting sporter, the modifications can not include moving adjustments (butt plate or cheek rest). If I remember corectly the modifications need to be permanent and then they are legal. Check with your coach and you will be ok.