Scuba Tanks

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Scuba Tanks

Post by Misny »

Has anyone used a 6 cubic foot pony bottle to fill his/her air gun? What do you think of it? How many fills do you get before you feel like you need to have the tank filled? How long will one of these tanks last compared to an 80 cu. ft. aluminum tank?

What should one expect to pay for a hydostatic check on a 80 cu. ft. aluminum tank?

TIA
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I cringe here in NM when I have to get a tank hydro'd .... ~$60
I have 2 that I use
I hear it is much cheaper in states close to the coasts though.

My yearly VIPs are $16

My fills are $4.50
Misny

Post by Misny »

That is a lot more than I'm paying even though I don't live near the coast. My fills are about the same at $4.00 each.

I have been considering the pony tank, because of the portability. It would be a lot more convenient to take to the range than the 80 cu. ft. aluminum tank.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I haven't paid for a fill yet get 20 free with new tank.

Hydro $40 with a fill.

Visual $15 or $20 with a fill.

So cost over 5 years roughly 3*20=60 1*40=40 Total $100.

I had my axsor pump serviced and reseal and it cost nearly $100. So the difference is pretty much a wash (pump was about 4-5 years old).
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I toyed with buying a pony bottle too. I am glad I didn't. However many fills you get you'll get a lot more from an 80. And you will pay as much for a pony bottle as an 80. One thing that I have come to hate is fooling around with getting the tank filled and a smaller tank would mean I need to do it more often.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I guess I'll pass on the pony tank, although its size makes it quite tempting. I was thinking of buying it in addition to the 80 cu. ft. tank that I already have. It would be real convenient to take the pony along to matches. Anyway I always wanted a pony 8^)
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm quite happy using a pony bottle. But the dive shop is only 30 minutes from the range, and refills are reasonably priced, so the logistics have never been a problem.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I personally plan on buying an extra cylinder or two instead of a small tank. Most places you go will have air for you, so as long as you bring your adapter, you can fill up. I'm more worried about a cylinder failing somehow, hopefully not failing in an energetic sort of way either.

Also, a full fill on my cylinder is enough for 3 60 matches for me. I'm not as versed in air as smallbore, but I've never come across a match that would need more air than that, even with a practice session. Let me know of any specific matches were you all shoot more than that so I can be prepared if I sign up for one.
TWP

Post by TWP »

I've never used a pony bottle,

But, I would think that since an 80 cu ft bottle has 13.3 time more volume than a 6 cu ft bottle, you would have to fill it that many times more often.

It might be more convenient to bring to a match, but the cost is almost as much as a spare cylinder for your rifle.

IIRC Hydro testing at my dive shop is about $70 (fills $5 and VIP $25). But we are real lucky, our dive shop owner is very pro gun, pro youth shooting. He fills our tanks for free, does the VIP for free and a couple of years ago hydro tested all 3 of our tanks for free.

The bad news is that with the way the economy has been going his business is way down.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Lately, I've been taking a pony to matches. Much handier than the 60 I used to use. Don't know how many fills it will provide, I always refill it from a 60 or 80 upon returning home.
Paul
Alex L

Scuba Tanks

Post by Alex L »

I have a 15 litre steel scuba tank, and I do 3 Air cylinder fills per week. My tank lasts about a year, and costs $5 Australian to fill.

We do not need a hydro test, becase we are only filling to 210 bar.
It also has a big tag to say that it is only used for Pistol shooting not diving.

Rechecking the cylinder in only required every 5 years or more, depending who is doing the fill-up!

The tank cost me $220 Aus. new.

Actually, this morning when I got it refilled, it was showing 190bar on their register, but, on my hand-held guage it showed 180 bar.

I normally shoot 70 shots during training, and my wife shoots about 50 shots, and we use a Steyr LP10 Air Pistol.

We also have a hand pump, but it was getting too hard, and we invested in the Air cylinder. - Much easier!!

You guys are talking about a 80 cu.ft. Pony clinder. - What is it like, and how many litres does it hold? My cylinder weighs about 20kg+.
We don't carry it in the car, - we fill at home, and take our Air Pistol cylinders to the range ready filled.
Misny

Post by Misny »

The pony tank is only 6 cu. ft. compared to 80 cubic feet of air in an aluminum tank.
Nosy

California

Post by Nosy »

Had my 80cc tank filled yesterday. $20 for visual, $6 for the fill and $1 for an O-ring.

Coast or no coast, California ain't cheap.

Also, you have to call around to find someone who will fill for you. Many places require a dive card, even if you tell them it's for rifle only.