Whats the best barrel for 50/100m prone smallbore shooting?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

USAR SHOOTER

Whats the best barrel for 50/100m prone smallbore shooting?

Post by USAR SHOOTER »

Who makes the best drop in barrels for an Anschutz 2013 for prone smallbore 50/100 meter shooting? Im thinking of using a Lilja barrel in a 1/16 twist.
ADC59

Post by ADC59 »

A Lilja drop-in seems like a good bet. Matt Emmons won gold and silver Olympic medals in prone with Lilja barrels and came within 1 shot of winning 2 more Olympic gold medals in 3-P.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end barrels really (benchmark, lilja, hart, douglas, etc) but it is really nice that lilja makes the drop in barrel for the 2013. I am not aware of too many other barrel makers that have the factory drop in for this gun so with that in mind I don't think you can go wrong with lilja. Lots of different options out there now adays too. 1:15, 1:16, 2 grove, 6 grove, reverse taper, normal taper, etc. All some things to think about (although for position type shooting I don't know how well the reverse taper would work out)
rbs

Anschutz barrel

Post by rbs »

Something that you should probably consider is buying the barrel of your choice and having it installed by a gunsmith that is familiar with the 2000 series Anschutz. The tenon to receiver fit is critical to obtain the best accuracy and I would worry that a drop in would possibly not meet that criteria, as if the tenon is too small it will distort the action. Alot of great barrel makers, the key here is to have someone that knows what they are doing install it. A huge benefit of the 2000 series action is that it easily allows the barrel to be indexed, which has shown to improve almost every barrel's performance.
L Moore

Post by L Moore »

no text
Last edited by L Moore on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L Moore

Post by L Moore »

This might sound stupid,,but assuming that extractor slots are already cut in these barrels how can it be indexed other then either 6 or 12 o'clock?..I have heard this said before and never knew the answer...L
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

You can only fully index if you have a cone breach cut.

Otherwise, you don't cut the extractor slots, test fire by removing the extractors from the bolt and then cut the slots after finding the optimal index.
L Moore

Post by L Moore »

Thank You,,,Now I know...The only concern I would have is the repeated use of a rod to clear the fired case while testing is being done...It troubles my mind to work from the crown anymore then I have too with a cleaning rod ,be it coated or not.......L