Pardini SP1 at 50m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JulianY

Pardini SP1 at 50m

Post by JulianY »

I am shooting a fun Free pistol match on Sunday and will be using my Pardini. does any one have any idea of how many clicks i need to adjust for from 25m or what the additional drop may be?

regards

julian
jipe

Post by jipe »

The drop will not be a real issue but weel the sights adjustement for a sub six hold with the same target size at 50m (I assume that your sights are adjusted for a sub six at 25m).

Probablu a little too late for next Sunday, but there are reduced size target to train for free pistol at 25m that you could use to adjust your Pardini sights and do some training before the match.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

jipe wrote:The drop will not be a real issue but weel the sights adjustment for a sub six hold with the same target size at 50m (I assume that your sights are adjusted for a sub six at 25m).

Probably a little too late for next Sunday, but there are reduced size target to train for free pistol at 25m that you could use to adjust your Pardini sights and do some training before the match.
so in fact my shots will be going high unless adjusted down - right ?
Spencer

Re: Pardini SP1 at 50m

Post by Spencer »

JulianY wrote:I am shooting a fun Free pistol match on Sunday and will be using my Pardini. does any one have any idea of how many clicks i need to adjust for from 25m or what the additional drop may be?

regards

julian
with a sub-6 hold the projectile is still climbing past the 25m distance.
It will depend on:
- where you aim at 25m, and
- the ammunition
i.e. too many variables. Some shooter have to add elevation and some lower the rear sight...

my H208 with Fed Champion ammo prints about the same at 50m as at 25m :}

Spencer
jipe

Post by jipe »

JulianY wrote:
jipe wrote:The drop will not be a real issue but weel the sights adjustment for a sub six hold with the same target size at 50m (I assume that your sights are adjusted for a sub six at 25m).

Probably a little too late for next Sunday, but there are reduced size target to train for free pistol at 25m that you could use to adjust your Pardini sights and do some training before the match.
so in fact my shots will be going high unless adjusted down - right ?
Yes, that's what I have. But its difficult to have the same sub six at 25m and 50m since the bull looks smaller at 50m. Usually, you will aim at a lower sub six at 50m (same perceived spacing between bull and aiming place = bigger spacing at target location) that will (partly) compensate for the high shot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I assume you get sighters. The difference shouldn't be that big (ie your shoots should still be on the paper) it should be easy to adjust during your sighters.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Richard H wrote:I assume you get sighters. The difference shouldn't be that big (ie your shoots should still be on the paper) it should be easy to adjust during your sighters.
yes thats what i am thinking as well.

Julian
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

As long as they're on the paper you can make the adjustments.

I once left my rifle sights on the table. My wife picked them up and proceed to spin knobs while talking to me. I had a match that night, and we shoot on multi-bull targets and the sighters have to fall within the box surrounding the two sighter bulls. I had a chat with the range officer prior to my first shot, and it wasn't even close to the box, but at least it was on the paper. Made the adjust and the second shot was on the sighting bull, three more shots and we were good to go. Word to the wise do not let your wife treat your sight like a New Years Eve noise maker. 8P
william

Post by william »

with a sub-6 hold the projectile is still climbing past the 25m distance.
Not true. Relative to your sight line, which is the only thing that matters, the projectile starts dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel. If you have to adjust your sights DOWN from 25 to 50 yards, there is another variable at work.

When my Pardinis and I used to shoot a lot of 900s, I recall the .22 with RWS ammo needed 2 or 3 clicks up for 50 yards. .32 handloads with low velocity and miserable ballistic coefficient took a whopping 14-19 clicks to get back on target.
j-team

Post by j-team »

william wrote:Not true. Relative to your sight line, which is the only thing that matters, the projectile starts dropping as soon as it leaves the barrel.
Errr, You have wrongly assumed that the barrel is level when fired which it isn't.

Rearsights are always taller than front sights (if measured from bore centreline) so that if you aim level the barrel is actually pointing uphill. Therefore the projectile climbs for a distance, then reaches the peak of it's trajectory before starting to fall.

For what it's worth, my free pistol, which is zeroed for 50m, will shoot low in ther 8 ring if I fire it at 25m.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Yes the bullet is going up in trajectory to reach the sight picture alignment. Depending on the zero and especially the height of the sights shooting a shorter distance than your zero will result in a low shot. This is even more relative to scoped rifles. With my air rifle shooting FT using a 30 yard zero I have to dial up 7 minutes of elevation to shot a target at 10 yards. Using mil dots that is 2.5 dots hold over for 10 yards. Hold that distance using the cross hairs without dialing or dots and it hits almost an inch low of the 5/16" kill zone.

Unless you zero for the apex of flight you really have a short range zero and a long range zero that will be your main zero. So if your zero is beyond the apex of the bullets path it will cross the direct sight line to the target going up and then drop into the bull at your zero range. So if your target distance is in that small distance where the bullet is above the line of sight it will print the shots a bit high. The thing is the close zero is usually nowhere close to the 2nd distance you probably want to shoot, thus you dial a bit.

So really I would say it depends on your zero distance, sight height and the actual distance to the target whether or not you need to dial down a bit or up. Usually it is going to be up IMO.

Bo
j-team

Post by j-team »

Bo,

Most pistol shooters use an area aiming method. i.e. the shots land about 150mm (6") higer than where you aim. A .22lr will need to go a lot further than an etra 25m to drop that much.