Centrefire trigger weight change - Why?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JulianY

Centrefire trigger weight change - Why?

Post by JulianY »

I am wondering why the change to the Center fire trigger weight? what were the reasons for this - David? Spencer?

What affect do you think this will have on the discipline?

I am wondering what the dutch will do, my guess is they will adopt the new rule next season rather than in the middle.

Julian
David Levene

Re: Centrefire trigger weight change - Why?

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:I am wondering why the change to the Center fire trigger weight? what were the reasons for this - David? Spencer?

What affect do you think this will have on the discipline?
My personal feeling, with absolutely no proof, is that this is a first stage to dropping CF in favour of a 22LR Sport Pistol event.

I wouldn't have thought it will have any effect on results, especially for those shooting with decent 2 stage triggers. When I was shooting Centre Fire and Standard Pistol I would be at the ready position with the first stage fully taken up and only the second stage to go. For CF that was about 350-400g with Standard being 300-350g.

I can think of no valid reason for any Federation not to use the new trigger weight from 01/01/2009 (unless they issued match rules before seeing the ISSF 2009 rules). Any gun that was legal under the 2005 rules will still be legal under the 2009 rules.

The same does not apply to the rule 8.20 events, Air Pistol Standard and Air Pistol 5 Target. Whereas these had no minimum trigger weight in the 2005 rules, they now have a 500g minimum weight. As this was not known about until the end of November, IMHO match organisers would be more than justified in delaying applying the new weight for a couple of months (obviously advising the position in the match programme).

My own club has a large open meeting in January. Because we had to send out entry forms before we had seen the 2009 rules we declared that the complete meeting will be held under the 2005 rules (third printing).
JulianY

Re: Centrefire trigger weight change - Why?

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote:
I can think of no valid reason for any Federation not to use the new trigger weight from 01/01/2009 (unless they issued match rules before seeing the ISSF 2009 rules). Any gun that was legal under the 2005 rules will still be legal under the 2009 rules.
The Problem for the Dutch is that we have three matches for each discipline.

AK : The Qualifying Round
DK : The District Championship
NK : The National Final

Adopting the rule would mean the DK and NK would be under different rules to the AK

Julian
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I wouldn't have thought it will have any effect on results, especially for those shooting with decent 2 stage triggers. When I was shooting Centre Fire and Standard Pistol I would be at the ready position with the first stage fully taken up and only the second stage to go. For CF that was about 350-400g with Standard being 300-350g
I agree with your comments completely David...except when using a revolver, especially in the duelling stage, where 1000 gr. us considerably easier to handle IMHO
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it will have any effect on results, especially for those shooting with decent 2 stage triggers. When I was shooting Centre Fire and Standard Pistol I would be at the ready position with the first stage fully taken up and only the second stage to go. For CF that was about 350-400g with Standard being 300-350g
I agree with your comments completely David...except when using a revolver, especially in the duelling stage, where 1000 gr. us considerably easier to handle IMHO
That's the main reason why I never considered a revolver for CF. I always considered a good 2 stage trigger to be the key to a good rapid stage.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Amen.
jak10x1

CF trigger weight

Post by jak10x1 »

Hi Shooters, what is the new CF trigger pull weight?

Thanks, John
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

1000g. Personally, I think it was about being able to swap uppers on convertible pistols without having to fiddle with the triggers.