Blacken the sights

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

kbc

Blacken the sights

Post by kbc »

Hello everyone,

I like to find out what is a good way to darken the rear sights on Steyr air pistols? The black coating on my rear sights have worned off due to the use of calibers to measure the rear sight depth. So I can see the glare on the upper edge of the rear sights and it is annoying. Does any one of you have any good suggestions and what are their pros and cons?

Thanks in advance and
Merry Christmas to you all.

kbc
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Soot is generally the best sight blackener. Either use a cigarette lighter or a candle, unless you can buy the special sight blackener lighters from a gun shop near you.

Rob.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Doc Sexton showed me a neat way, several years ago. You fold a length of masking tape down the middle, and light it. It gives off more soot than anything else I've tried, carbide generators included. I also use it to blacken my bullet molds to aid in bullet drop out.
Paul
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

Wow - that was a great tip. I lost my carbide lamp years ago. This works better than the old lamp.
Thanks - Jim
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I use camfer. it works, in my opinion better than the specific lighters than you get from gun shops
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

I use the spray stuff.

I have a very old AMU markesmanship manual that says to light a picnic spoon or knife. I never tried it myself.
David M

Black Hair Spray

Post by David M »

I use 'Cinta Black Hair Spray", it is a matt lacquer that sprays on well, gives a good sight picture and does not brush off like soot and is about $3 in the reject shops.
It will slowly build up, but it cleans off easy with a little turps.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Birchwood Casey Permablue Touch Up Blue comes up pretty well black.
I use it to re-blacken all my adjusted sights.
Assuming the material is steel of course, and remember to wash in water afterwards.
It will take the skin off your fingers very efficiently too.
kbc

camfer?

Post by kbc »

Thank you all for all the great inputs.

Muffo, what is camfer?
Spencer

Re: camfer?

Post by Spencer »

kbc wrote:Thank you all for all the great inputs.

Muffo, what is camfer?
camphor wax - used like moth balls in storage of clothes.
this has come up before; the camphor/camphor wax we get at the supermarkets in Australia gives off VERY sooty smoke and makes a great sight blackener.

the camphor vapour is a great anti-rust; a bit of camphor in with the firearms (tools, whatever) is terrific.

Spencer