How Hot.....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

higginsdj

How Hot.....

Post by higginsdj »

OK - I am thinking that when I eventually get to own a pistol (.22 and AP) I may want to visit the range at lunch time or after work. This would mean keeping the pistol stored in the car during the day (suitably locked to the car and out of site - ie the boot.). The club range is less than 1km from work but more than 30km from home.

First, in Australia, is this OK or considered a no-no.

Second, if it is OK, in the Aussie summer it can get very hot in the car so how about locking the pistol and ammunition (or gas/air cylinder for an AP) in an eski (just an closed empty eski - dry, no ice or cooler etc)

What do others do?

Cheers

David
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Even here in Canada where its not as hot, I'd think it would be a bad idea to let it bake in the hot trunk (boot) of a car for eight hours. It would be very bad for ammo.

Post by Guest »

In Australia you can't leave a firearm in a vehicle and ammunition can not be stored with a firearm at any time.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Well obviously one must be able to leave the gun in the car for at least some period of time and I doubt the law expects one to transport the pistol in one car and the ammunition in another so it's not quite as cut and dry.

What does one do when travelling to a competition and then competing in it over several days? Where does one 'store' the pistol and ammunition then?

Cheers

David
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Depends on your state.

In SA they either need to be under your direct control or locked in a suitable safe - not a car which is easily stolen or broken into.
If you leave it unattended for eight hours forget it.

If they got stolen you can expect to lose your license.

Simple answer is to ask your local Police for advice, they may accept a safe chained or bolted into the car, or not.

'The ACT Firearms Act holds the owners of firearms personally responsible for the security and safe keeping of their firearms and for ensuring that firearms do not come into the possession of unauthorised persons.

Non-compliance with the safe keeping laws can lead to the seizure of firearms by the police.

Firearms owners should obtain a copy of the firearms storage guidelines from the ACT Firearms Registry, as the requirements vary for categories and numbers of firearms stored.'
http://www.afp.gov.au/act/firearms.html

'What does one do when travelling to a competition and then competing in it over several days? Where does one 'store' the pistol and ammunition then?'
Tricky - preferably stored in a club armoury.
Spencer

Re: How Hot.....

Post by Spencer »

higginsdj wrote:OK - I am thinking that when I eventually get to own a pistol (.22 and AP) I may want to visit the range at lunch time or after work. This would mean keeping the pistol stored in the car during the day (suitably locked to the car and out of site - ie the boot.). The club range is less than 1km from work but more than 30km from home.
First, in Australia, is this OK or considered a no-no.
Second, if it is OK, in the Aussie summer it can get very hot in the car so how about locking the pistol and ammunition (or gas/air cylinder for an AP) in an eski (just an closed empty eski - dry, no ice or cooler etc)
What do others do?
Cheers
David
I would suggest you ask one of the CNPC committee (e.g. Captain) regarding ACT Firearms regulations, rather than opinions on the web.

Given that temeratures in a closed car in the Canberra summer can get to around 50C, ammunition will probably deteriorate, and filled AP cylinders (CO2 or PCP) will be way over their pressure rating.

What do others do? Not leave unattended firearms or ammunition in the vehicle for extended periods.

Spencer
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Wow, it's tuff being a gun owner down under!
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

Perhaps you could make arragements with your shooting club to allow you to drop off your gear and lock it away on your way to work. Then you can go shoot at lunch or after work and pick up your gear on the way home.

Just my 2¢
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Freepistol wrote:Wow, it's tuff being a gun owner down under!
I wish it was that tough here in the UK :-(
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

My reading of the ACT firearms act is that it is not much more than a list of guidelines - it lacks specifics and much of the 'law' is left up tot eh discretion of the Registry Sergeant (Police). Its like the tax laws. They give you guidance as to what you can claim as a deduction but if the power to be's interpretation differs from your own then you get crucified.

Its as if the 'laws' are written to discourage participation and makes one wonder if it really is worth all the hassle......

The local club does not have an armoury (I wonder how many actually do).

Hi Spencer, the Captain won't be around for some time.....
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Pack the whole lot on an unmarked case, take into the office and use for foot rest.

Good for your back and will be under your eyes...
GeorgeH

Wow

Post by GeorgeH »

If I expect to shoot during lunch, I just take my guns to work with me. Everyone I work with knows that I am active in shooting sports, and I've been carring a concealed firearm on my person since 1981. But what I do is legal where I live (southeastern Michigan).

In the rear of my car, I have 4 spotting scope stands (but only 3 spotting scopes), 4 mats, two off hand stands, 8 slings, anywhere between 200 to 5,000 rounds of ammunition, et cetera. Carring between one and five firearms back there as well is common as well.

In the spring and summer, I just add fly fishing rods, reels, and related gear to the mix.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Youn transport it to and from a shooting event, you can stop for food, fuel and accomodation, while at a shooting event in most states as far as i know you can take it in a cocked box into your hotel/motel room. some states you have to go to a police station when you enter the state to inform them you will be carrying guns (not sure if you still have to do this but years ago it had to be done) you can have your guns and ammo in your car as it is being transported not stored. as far as leaving them in your car at work it is elegal, but so are a lot of things
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Basically, in Aus if the Police catch you, or they get stolen, your shooting career is over.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I must admit that this sounds like a grey area with lots of differing opinions.

Lets look at the local club events. After the mornings shoot the pistols are stored back in the car and then shooters socialize for a couple of hours in the club house. At big shoots without armouries (ie most?) do shooters carry their pistols around with them all the time or do they leave them locked in the car when not in actual use? ie if I shoot and help out at the event (officiate, patch etc) then the pistol will be locked in the car and I might be helping out for 4-5 or more hours at the shoot. This would seem to be routine!? What then is the difference between this and leaving the pistol locked in a car between home and club, stopping off at work for 4 or so hours? Or is it that it meets the intent of the law in that the pistols, although locked in the car, are still located at an 'authorised' location ie a pistol range?

Interestingly the local firearms registry recently provided me with advice on storage and transport. The one for the vehicle was titled "Storage and Transport in a Vehicle". The law obviously does not cover off every situation and as such, much like tax laws, intelligent interpretation needs to be applied knowing that a decision can go against you if it ever needed to be investigated/reviewed.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

are still located at an 'authorised' location ie a pistol range?

is your answer to that one, but it must be locked. if unlocked once again you are in the shit. I have been pulled over and checked with pistols on the way home from my club and they wanted to know where i had been and where i was going then they went back to their car for a while, came back and let me go. I am asuming they were making sure i was only going to and from the range
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

At opens either hold onto them or lock them in your car.
I chain the metal case to my car, so if someone breaks into the car (easy) they then have to work out how to open the box or cut the chain (not so easy).

The police might be OK with the above for your situation, suggest asking them.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

In WA you have to have it bolted/chained to the car and i think you have to apply for a permit to enter the state with them
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Muffo wrote:In WA you have to have it bolted/chained to the car and i think you have to apply for a permit to enter the state with them
I do feel sorry for you folks. And I give you credit for persevering. If I lived in that situation, I would likely have found another hobby.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Fred you probably wouldn't. I live in Canada and a lot of this stuff sounds way more onerous than it is. Most of these things come about in small steps, it's way easier to take people's freedom away from them in small doses, just as they do in the US, using the phrase "these are reasonable".