Wavering and Leaning

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
porkchop

Wavering and Leaning

Post by porkchop »

I have a problem that has surfaced recently. While I use a more bladed type of stance I'm wavering back and forth and find myself leaning to line up my shot, I feel like I'm going to fall forward on my face sometimes. I have the sight alignment perfect and aim at a deep six before the start of the process. Then when I bring the sight into the aiming area I start moving back and forth and leaning forward lining up my shot. I don't lock both knees, I hyperextend my rear knee (kind of locked) and just put more weight on the front leg, it is fairly comfortable for me. Should I hyperextend both knees or is there a way to move my feet to eliminate the wavering, anyone show me what the knees should be doing ? I use the same technique when shooting Bullseye, only a more open stance towards a 45 degree. I'm 72 now and maybe that could be a cause.
Thanks for any and all help, Stan
PirateJohn

Re: Wavering and Leaning

Post by PirateJohn »

Balance training

Get a balance board and practice dry fires while standing on it
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It sounds like you are forcing yourself to use a stance your body doesn't like. You are assuming a UPOA (Unnatural Point of Aim). The current "fad" of having your body and feet parallel to the line to the target is a new thing. I think it takes a LOT of training to assume that position and be stable.

Brian Zins (top 1911 shooter & multiple national record holder) teaches clinics on pistol shooting. He actually recommends against the normal Natural Point of Aim, which is based on finding the most comfortable position that lines your pistol up with the target. He uses a laser pointer to help students find the foot/body/arm position that minimizes wobble. It may or may not be close to the regular NPOA. He says that if your body is too parallel to a line to the target, you tend to wobble side to side. If you stand with your body totally perpendicular to a line to the target, you tend to sway back & forth.

The students on the college team I help coach start at a 45 degree stance, but when they have finally settled on a good stable position, it varies all over the map.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

stand on one leg then close your eyes and no doubt you will be in trouble.
Sight is used to help balance, on your non shooting eye use the smallest blinder strip you can get away with this allows the "blinded" eye to see the world around you and use it as a datum to help balance.
Balance training stand on one leg when you clean your teeth - very hard at first but over days and weeks you will be doing it well.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

Stan, do you have any issues with your balance in your life other than shooting? I am 73 and play golf and Pickleball, in addtion to shooting Free and Air Pistol. I have found that around a 45 to 60 degree stance works best for me. Everyone's body is different.

You might check out this YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KPWTWld4V0
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try some balance exercises, and change my stance to a more angled one, should help my neck muscles relax more also. I used that bladed stance to absorb more recoil when I started shooting CMP Service Pistol I didn't have the trouble swaying back and forth until I started practicing more AP about a month ago. Maybe there's something about that blinder issue, I was using a small piece of scotch tape for my blinder outdoors. I'm using Knoblochs indoors and the blinder is much much bigger.
Pete, thanks for the link, that guy cleared up a few of my questions also. I don't think I've had any other issues other than Plantar Fasciitis and stubbing my toes on the bedpost a couple of times in the night.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Turn your toes in about 10°.

Get your regular shooting stance, then pivot your right foot counterclockwise 5°, and pivot your left foot clockwise 5°. Just that.

Thank me later.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

porkchop wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:38 am I have a problem . . . I'm wavering back and forth and find myself leaning . . . feel like I'm going to fall forward on my face . . . .
Be sure to have a Designated Driver take you home from the match.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Will give it a try John.
That would be nice atomicgale, since I drive 2 hours to and 2 hours from a match. I would like that a lot in the winter when there's snow on the ground.
Stan