Accurize vs MantisX vs Scatt vs Trace

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Wakehlite

Accurize vs MantisX vs Scatt vs Trace

Post by Wakehlite »

Hey guys, new shooter here. I’ve recently purchased my air pistol and have been heavily researching dry fire trainers for indoor practice. Initially, the Scatt system seemed to be the ideal version, but it’s been extremely difficult to find one of these systems available to purchase in the US.

My question is: given any experience you may have with MantisX, Accurize or Trace, what would be the best combination of products to provide accuracy scoring and real time feedback?

Thank you guys for your time and I genuinely appreciate any guidance. I’ve searched the history on here, but found very little detailed breakdowns on this. Thanks again!
m1963

Re: Accurize vs MantisX vs Scatt vs Trace

Post by m1963 »

Go with Scatt, it is the original and the best. The Basic model is just fine for new to intermediate users.

You can buy one here-

https://scattusa.com/
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

I have a Mantis and a Scatt. If you can afford it, the Scatt is worth the difference in price IMO.

I admit I haven't spent a lot of time with the Mantis, but it seems like it only provides a visual trace and score. I couldn't get it to change the scale so my traces looked pretty small on the screen. You could see the difference between a good shot and a really bad shot, but more subtle differences were not obvious. If money is tight the Mantis will make dry firing more fun and provide some more info.

Scatt gives you numerical stats that are easier to track and compare, the ability to customize the results, to a certain extent and scales the image to you traces which make it much better visually.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I got a Mantis in the hopes that it could provide enough feedback to be useful for the college students I help coach. It can point out gross errors, but it's really not comparable to a SCATT. It's best for self defense shooters with heavy trigger pulls trying to hit big targets in a hurry, not precision shooting.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I am primarily an NRA Precision Pistol shooter, but I also train with 10 meter AP in my garage to improve my slow fire skills. I recently bought a Mantis X10 Elite and I like it a lot. I believe it provides MUCH less statistical data than does the SCATT. However, it does provide several things I find useful.

First, it's fun and motivates me to shoot every day. That's a good thing in my book.

Secondly, it provides some degree of objective metrics on my performance versus using nothing but my eye and a blank wall. Does it rival the SCATT? Well, although I've not used the SCATT, everything I've read tells me SCATT offers an overwhelming amount of data with which to analyze one's performance. I have also read that many shooters will require an experienced coach to help analyze SCATT's data to improve their performance. I don't doubt that.

Comparing prices of SCATT versus Mantis, I believe Mantis wins, but at the cost of really incredible metrics.

Lastly, I also train for defensive pistol use, and MANTIS is much more useful for that.

FWIW,

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

I find that the Mantis is excellent for triggering feedback in dryfire. It very quickly and obviously displays a "score" which is a measure of how much you deflected the POA. 95 or better (the "Great shot" indicator) tells me I'm ok. It can take quite a bit of concentration to keep it there, even when I might have thought otherwise. Worth it, in my opinion.

P.S. I also have a Scatt, which is way better but fussy as heck to set up. Every damn time.

P.P.S. I glued a magnet to the Mantis. Slap it on somewhere, start the app, done.
Wakehlite

Post by Wakehlite »

Thank you guys, this is great info!
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I have had various versions of SCATT devices for two decades but only ever tried a mantis from colleagues. I feel the mantis is a bit like the fitbit of target shooting. It gives you some feedback to maybe keep you motivated but no deep information. While the SCATT is an analysis tool.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I don't want to derail the thread, but do you have issues with the Mantis triggering on shots? It's been a while since I've made a concerted effort to get it to work, but it always seemed hit-or-miss, maybe picking up 50% of shots at best (when firing a pellet, when dry firing it was worse).

Any tricks you can offer?

marky-d