LP2 ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steevyg

LP2 ammo

Post by Steevyg »

I’ve recently bought an LP2 (Gamo is history now) and was wondering what pellets owners have had better experiences with. The 5 shot hole that came with the pistol said 4.49mm. Thanks for reply’s.
Rover

Re: LP2 ammo

Post by Rover »

There is only one answer to your question. If you had done a Search you would certainly have found it.

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &hilit=yes
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Rover wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:41 pm There is only one answer to your question. If you had done a Search you would certainly have found it.

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &hilit=yes
Thanks Rover, that’s somewhat helpful.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

You can completely ignore any size other than 4.5 My test target used 4.49 also but there's no reason whatsoever to concern yourself over it.
RWS Basics are great, clean pellets at a very economical price. I tried H&N Match lights and my left index and thumb were visibly grey with dust. I used what I had but would never buy again. When I had no pellets, waiting for a shipment, I bought a (screw top) tin of 500 SigSauer match at my local Bass Pro shop for $9 and those were free of visible dust and performed just fine but for the fact that the tin is larger than the cut out in my carrying case.
The LP2 is great, I chose it over the LP/ Evo10 based on it's weight and balance. I did not care for the nose heavy EVO and I hated the plastic trigger. The only complaint I
have is that for my arm length the rear sight sizes of 3.5 and 4mm we're just too small to allow sufficient light on either side of the front post. I can live perfectly happy with only 2 choices and was aware I was giving up the full range adjustment that LP10 has so I have mine opened up to 5mm and 7mm (for a 1:1:1 ratio).
I hope you enjoy your new LP2 I've had mine a little over 2 months and have come to feel quite bonded with it.
Last edited by toddinjax on Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

toddinjax wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:03 pm You can completely ignore any size other than 4.5 My test target used 4.49 also but there's no reason whatsoever to concern yourself over it.
RWS Basics are great, clean pellets at a very economical price. I tried H&N Match lights and my left index and thumb were visibly grey with dust. I used what I had but would never buy again. When I had no pellets, waiting for a shipment, I bought a (screw top) tin of 500 SigSauer match at my local Bass Pro shop for $9 and those were free of visible dust and performed just fine but for the fact that the tin is larger than the cut out in my carrying case.
The LP2 is great, I chose it over the LP/ Evo10 based on it's weight and balance. I did not care for the nose heavy EVO and I hated the plastic trigger. The only complaint I have is that for my are length the rear sight sizes of 3.5 and 4mm we're just too small to allow sufficient light on either side of the front post. I can live perfectly happy with only 2 choices and was aware I was giving up the full range adjustment that LP10 has so I have mine opened up to 5mm and 7mm for a 1:1:1 ratio. I hope you enjoy your new pistol.
Thanks Toddinjax, I appreciate your reply. I’ve been using RWS Basics and they seem to be fine.
I thought, having seen some folk do pellet tests, that a better grouping pellet for the LP2 might be out there, and seeing I don’t have the equipment to bench test pellets, they may have the answers I don't.
I am really enjoying my new pistol thanks.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unless you are shooting Olympic level targets, you will never see the slightest difference in your pistol scores between RWS Basics and much more expensive match pellets. Your wobble is large enough compared to the tiny added dispersion of "cheap" pellets that it just doesn't matter.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:04 pm Unless you are shooting Olympic level targets, you will never see the slightest difference in your pistol scores between RWS Basics and much more expensive match pellets. Your wobble is large enough compared to the tiny added dispersion of "cheap" pellets that it just doesn't matter.
Thanks GWhite, I hear what you’re saying.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I thought, having seen some folk do pellet tests, that a better grouping pellet for the LP2 might be out there,"

I did the tests, and, yes, there are better grouping pellets out there.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Rover wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:41 am "I thought, having seen some folk do pellet tests, that a better grouping pellet for the LP2 might be out there,"

I did the tests, and, yes, there are better grouping pellets out there.
I know RMCA did test for an LP10 and the RWS R10 7gr 4.49mm came out best. The RWS Diablo basic also came out well, considering they are a lot cheaper (although not through the same hole).
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Here is a pellet test involving deformed pellets. I suspect this answers most pellet test questions, for all time-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22q5mjHsGTQ
Rover

Post by Rover »

[/quote] I know RMCA did test for an LP10 and the RWS R10 7gr 4.49mm came out best. The RWS Diablo basic also came out well, considering they are a lot cheaper (although not through the same hole).
[/quote]

I did a test with RWS Basic in a LP1. It was a thirty shot group that would BARELY cut the line of the "11" ring. Yes we have no crap flyers.

Stop fooling around and practice.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I wouldn't worry about the so called "visible dust". Many manufactures use MolyD Powder as a lube.
The chances of of it being lead powder are about zero
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thank you spektr, I'm glad to learn that. Should one be concerned about that powder lube building up inside a barrel? I just found a tin of h&n's and used them today.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You may have a problem with your pellets. Make SURE they are .177".
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

A white powdery residue sometimes found on old pellets is probably lead oxide. It's no harder than a lot of abrasive bore cleaners, and will probably do no more than polish your bore a little. That said, does anyone have any real facts on whether it's OK to just shoot this stuff? I'm guessing it's fine, but prefer to err on the side of caution with $2K air pistols.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Now, now, Mr. White....surely you remember this post that covers the subject in depth.

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=4 ... ng+pellets
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

In your post, you said the test wasn't definitive until you checked the pistol for accuracy. Did you ever do that? Also, 60 shots is nice, but when confronted with an entire tin of oxidized pellets, you are looking at over 8 times the "polishing" to shoot the entire can.

That's unless you can find enough suckers to buy re-packaged "bore polishing pellets"...
David M

Post by David M »

Best thing for old oxidised pellets is to shoot them.....
after melting them and turning them into black powder balls.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:18 pm In your post, you said the test wasn't definitive until you checked the pistol for accuracy. Did you ever do that? Also, 60 shots is nice, but when confronted with an entire tin of oxidized pellets, you are looking at over 8 times the "polishing" to shoot the entire can.

That's unless you can find enough suckers to buy re-packaged "bore polishing pellets"...
Of course I didn't test them. The whole thing was bullshit.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

m1963 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:14 pm Here is a pellet test involving deformed pellets. I suspect this answers most pellet test questions, for all time-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22q5mjHsGTQ
Thanks m1963, I’ll check it out.