Help for recoil jerk or wrist lock problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cvb

Help for recoil jerk or wrist lock problem

Post by Cvb »

I have a problem with the sport pistol (22lr). I can shoot nice 10 and 9 scores, but I get one 8 or 7 for almost each set. These bad shots are mostly 1 o’clock and sometimes 7 o’clock.
I think that problem is recoil jerk or wrist lock problem.
I can shoot with air pistol on training average 9,3 results, so I think that my trigger technique etc should be ok.

I have tried dry practice, grip adjust, trigger position adjust, trigger stages weight balance. Nothing seems to help with the problem.

What do you think? Should I make more dry fire or live fire? Is there anything else to do?
Gwhite

Re: Help for recoil jerk or wrist lock problem

Post by Gwhite »

Assuming you are right handed, most 7:00 shots come from forcing the shot off. Most 1:00 shots come from tightening your grip in anticipation of the shot, which is easier to do if you are forcing the shot off (and therefore know when it's going to go off).

DO NOT THINK ABOUT FIRING THE SHOT. Concentrate on an action that will result in the shot being fired. Depending on how your trigger is set up, either think about constantly increasing pressure on the trigger, or constantly moving it to the rear. Either one will cause the pistol to fire, but you won't know exactly when.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I certainly don't recommend it, but I know I have gripped the pistol, and jerked the trigger on the same shot. The 1o'clock grip and the 7 o'clock jerk cancelled each other for a perfect 10.

It's easier to realize the fault in the brain that to overcome them.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

There is a sweet spot in everyone's hold. That moment when your hold is smallest and aim will be best. Force the shot before/after those moments and it will land based on how your hold moves/changes over time. Assuming triggering and hold are both good.

Perhaps borrow a SCATT and find out where your sweet spot is? Then, plan to trigger your shots within that time period; while still taking a surprise shot.

Best regards,
m1963
Last edited by m1963 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cvb

Post by Cvb »

Gwhite wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:18 pm Assuming you are right handed, most 7:00 shots come from forcing the shot off. Most 1:00 shots come from tightening your grip in anticipation of the shot, which is easier to do if you are forcing the shot off (and therefore know when it's going to go off).

DO NOT THINK ABOUT FIRING THE SHOT. Concentrate on an action that will result in the shot being fired. Depending on how your trigger is set up, either think about constantly increasing pressure on the trigger, or constantly moving it to the rear. Either one will cause the pistol to fire, but you won't know exactly when.
Yes, right handed.
Intresting, I try to concentrate sight picture and front sight, my trigger works automatically. I understand that triggering should happened automatically without thinking it. Maybe automatic trigger does not work with 1000g so easy than with air pistol and free pistol?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

All it takes is a little bit of added conscious thought to get the heavier trigger to fire, and you open the door to problems. Dry firing should help. Switching between the three vastly different weight triggers can be a challenge.