KK500 bedding

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Giddaymate

KK500 bedding

Post by Giddaymate »

KK500 Anatomic (wood stock). Do you think it would benefit from glass bedding - any experience?
analretentive

Re: KK500 bedding

Post by analretentive »

When I sent my KK500 to the Lapua testing facility, I asked if I should ship it in the stock. They said barreled action was fine, but some people sent theirs with the gasket. Mine is in a benchrest stock with pillars. I saw no need for bedding because of the location of the five pillared action screws directly under the barrel tenon, and lack of a rear action screw. I was not aware that some rifles had a gasket. According to Walther's blurb on the Anatomic: "Tension free,vibration damped mounting of barrel on acylate coating in receiver.". I'm not sure what that entails, but sounds like it is already bedded.

There seems to be more of a trend toward floating the action and attaching the barrel via damping devices.

Gerry
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

How well does it shoot now? If the rifle is shooting well, you may not see much improvement. The purpose of bedding in metal epoxy is to provide a perfect stress-free fit of the action in the stock, better than the factory inlet, and to reinforce the stock. The Anatomic is laminated, which should remove (or at least greatly lessen) the possibility of warpage from heat or humidity, so bedding would only address the fit of the receiver in the stock. It's usually said that a good bedding job won't decrease accuracy, but if the rifle already shoots well, the factory bedding may work well enough. Bedding with pillars/metal bedding block would reinforce the stock, and prevent crushing, so you could play with torque on the screws without any worry.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Giddaymate,

My bad on the Walther blurb referring to barrel attachment to the receiver...nothing to do with bedding. I can only find a parts diagram of an aluminum stock, and it does have a part they refer to as a "puffer" (buffer). Does your Anatomic have this part?

It may just function as a "puffer" for two dissimilar metals.

Gerry
Last edited by analretentive on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The "acrylate coating" sounds rather like glue.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Yes. It's used to glue in barrels and make disposable diapers, so it's got us old shooters covered.

Gerry