How to hold springer pistol?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

toddinjax

How to hold springer pistol?

Post by toddinjax »

Hello all,
I find dozens of articles and YT videos on using "artillery hold" with a springer rifle but cannot find anything concerning specific advice for proper hold with a spring pistol. Could someone throw me some tips or at least direct me where I can find info online?
I haven't posted here in years due to shoulder injuries and surgery. I sold of my IZ46 and LP1 but have recently gotten back an itch to try shooting again, albeit with a less serious attitude. Open to any and all suggestions.
While I've got your attention,... would one assume that the pistols listed above, being quite high quality am I going to be "spoiled" by their finery likely dissatisfied with any spring action?
Rover

Re: How to hold springer pistol?

Post by Rover »

"would one assume that the pistols listed above, being quite high quality am I going to be "spoiled" by their finery likely dissatisfied with any spring action?"

Oh, hell yeah!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Have you fully recovered from your injuries; will you be shooting off hand or bag rested? Shooting regular recoiling spring air pistols is quite challenging, however, once you master and can replicate the proper hold and follow through for each shot, you’ll be able to achieve small groups. The best mechanical recoilless spring actions out there are the FWB 65/80 air pistols.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

Why even waste your time with a spring pistol? There are plenty of cheaper single stroke pneumatic pistols available. Spring piston pistols are more difficult and unpleasant to shoot so why bother with them?
Rick B.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"The best mechanical recoilless spring actions out there are the FWB 65/80 air pistols."

If you have one of these, you don't need to even ask the question.

But Richard144 is right on.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thanks for the info. Shoulder is not fully recovered per say but as recovered as it's going to get. I was looking also at HR40 but may well just grab a Beeman p17 to see if I can make a go of it. Unfortunately my shoulder is likely of less importance than multiple issues with my spine. I have frequent ongoing pain and also occasional "jolts" of very sharp pain that cause a whole body jerk along with a verbal grunt/moan; lots of fun at grocery store or cocktail parties.
Thank you guys, much appreciated.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Richard144 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:31 amSpring piston pistols are more difficult and unpleasant to shoot so why bother with them?Rick B.
Different strokes for different folks…It’s quite pleasant to shoot springers IF you get the hang of it…
Rover

Post by Rover »

Once upon a time while at the top of my form, I owned a Walther LP53 and a HW70, both "springers".

The best I EVER shot with one of them was a 93, most scores much lower.

Do you like a challenge? Take the situation in hand and come up with a solution!
High Left

Post by High Left »

I'd say if you've got shoulder and spine issues, the last thing you want is something you have to wrestle with to cock it.

My 65, I'd hook the muzzle behind my knee. Plays not well at a match, so I put a rubber coated bike hanger hook in a block of wood to clamp to the table. At least takes the torque off of your trigger hand.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think a problem here is "springers". There are the "sproingers" and the recoilless guns. Entirely different shooting styles.