Can anyone explain the air rifle competition to me?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

linsChaho

Can anyone explain the air rifle competition to me?

Post by linsChaho »

What are, and why do they wear those weird looking outfits, hats? I guess I understand the blinders, but what kind of guns are they, what are all those wires, and what do they shoot?
william

Re: Can anyone explain the air rifle competition to me?

Post by william »

Do your homework before asking questions:
viewforum.php?f=3
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

linsChaho,
I see that our Public Relations and Member Recruitment Department replied to you almost immediately. Regardless, Air Rifle is a discipline where the rifles use an extremely precise amount of compressed gas or air to propel a .177 caliber pellet to a small target at 10 meters distant. The outer garments serve a couple of purposes. There is padding to protect parts of the body,
pads to reduce slipping and it is said the the suit also reduces pulse from your heartbeat, although, sometimes I think that on some days the only thing that would help with that would be leaving my heart at the house.
Not sure about the wires to which you refer. Feel free to P.M. me if you have more questions. I can suggest some very helpful books as well. Air Rifle is a very demanding sport and the Precision Air Rifles are some of the most accurate rifles out there at the appropriate distance.
Bob
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I think the wires are the clear barrel indicators; it's a length of Strummer cord pushed through the barrel, when you're on the firing line but not shooting, to show the rifle is unloaded.

The suits cushion pressure points, redistribute weight, and protect the body. These evolved over several decades, starting with light cloth coats worn to protect your clothes; ranges were often basic, and laundry was hard manual labour. Gradually, jackets became heavier; canvas and leather replacing twill. The cut also became more scientific, and not just like a shirt.

Modern target shooting is a precision sport, where folks want the fancy kit to achieve their potential. In the same way modern archers can use high-precision bows; there are completions and clubs for long bows, just as there are for historic or dynamic shooting.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

I think what William is trying to say is to do some research before asking questions. Reading the rules for a particular discipline is a good place to start as it will answer many questions and explain much.
The answer to your basic question is a simple one. They use all that stuff ( their equipment) to help them shoot a better score. It's really just that simple. If it did not help they would no bother with all that "stuff".
Rick B.