weight training effect on hold?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

von

weight training effect on hold?

Post by von »

Been using dumbells for general health workout (1year) now starting to shake with my hold using FWB65 or lighter A.P. Any helpful advice appreciated!
Green_Canoe

Re: weight training effect on hold?

Post by Green_Canoe »

I'm interested to hear the responses. I'm a pretty serious mountain biker and I find I don't shoot my best for a few days after a hard ride. My muscles are just too "gelatinous" to form a rigid platform.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I train martial arts twice weekly and also shoot AP every day. Scores on Jiu Jitsu days are... not worth mentioning. But in the long run I know I'm getting stronger and more stable.
David M

Post by David M »

Light weight training only.
Mostly 1kg weights or resistance band.
You want endurance and stability not excessive mass and strength.
Search YouTube for "weight training for pistol shooting".
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Heavy weights damage your hold, by all means do them for strength but allow a few weeks of light weights and many repetitions to recover.
von

Post by von »

Thanks James That' s pretty much the changes I'm making as I'm not ready to quit . s
Rover

Post by Rover »

When you're pumping iron, you are destroying muscle tissue so that it will grow back better (stronger). You need to take time to heal after your workout (3 days?) before actually shooting or competing.
AManWearingAHat

Post by AManWearingAHat »

I weight train fairly regularly. Day after lifting, especially chest and arm day my hold is useless. If you're trying to shoot top scores you have to let yourself recover before you pick up and air pistol.

In the long run though, as long as you're staying flexible and keeping your range of motion up, it will benefit your shooting as you're developing muscular and more importantly core strength. It helps as well to do some target exercises to build some strength and endurance in the shoulder for air pistol specifically.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I shot FP with a guy that started body building. I thought his scores would improve, but as he bulked up, they sank. He eventually quit shooting, as he said he has a lot less control over his fine motor skills as he bulked up. There are some mighty skinny women shooting 570's in AP.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

How much do you think Yulia can lift?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210828-122813.png
von

Post by von »

Thanks Brent I may be lucky as I've yet to bulk up! Thanks to you and other replies changes have been made in my support workouts with weights.
Th.

Post by Th. »

gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Just saw this thread and I'll be adjusting my plans. I've set up a 10M range and will shoot AP before going to the gym. And now that I can finally go back to the gym my plan is to focus on strength (low reps) and endurance (high reps) and with an emphasis on chinups, dips, pushups and cardio, basically a Fight Club workout. In other words the opposite of bodybuilding. All with the appropriate warm up and stretching etc. I've watched 10M competition youtube videos and while no doubt the competitors are elite level shooters most if not all of those guys don't look like they could do a single chinup, let alone bust out a dozen. Now many will say, that's because you don't need to be at that level of fitness to excel in this sport and I have no doubt this is true. But what if you were standing there at the match ripped as Tyler Durden and aiming a pistol? So um... Fight Club AP training.
Joshua O'Brien

Post by Joshua O'Brien »

After seeing some suggestions from one of the Pardini US guys I've found that isometric exercises help more than regular weight training, I use a resistance band (under a foot for upwards, over a door corner for downwards) and try to hold steady 45-sec reps at a variety of heights for as long as I have time or steady strength for. It doesn't make much of a difference in muscle mass but at least anecdotally seems to be helping after some months of keeping at it.