Grip fitting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Grip fitting

Post by conradin »

How do you make a blank or a fully anatomic grip totally fit for you? If putty is needed, how it is done? If you have a video of it, or a link to youtube with someone does a demonstration, that will be helpful. Also I wonder do I need someone else to help me presuming one of my hands are occupied..
rmca

Re: Grip fitting

Post by rmca »

This video may help.
It's in german, but has subtitles that you can switch on.
It's how Rink does a custom grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OgAnGg4mc

Hope this helps
rmca

Post by rmca »

Also check this items on his site.

https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php?p1=400&p2=415
william

Post by william »

Don Nygord knew what he was talking about, and he said it in a way that anybody could understand:
http://www.cincinnatirevolverclub.net/nygord.html
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Thanks for sending the link to the Rink and other gentleman. Grip fit is everything I would think. How they get a custom fitting grip made without the customers hand in their workshop Id love to know..? Not looking for "clever" replies here. Clearly measurements can be scanned/emailed to Rink BUT is this enough for custom fitted grip..? I'd be really interested to hear from people who have gone through the process with Rink and hear your thoughts.
william

Post by william »

dontshootcritters wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:29 pm Thanks for sending the link to the Rink and other gentleman. Grip fit is everything I would think. How they get a custom fitting grip made without the customers hand in their workshop Id love to know..? Not looking for "clever" replies here. Clearly measurements can be scanned/emailed to Rink BUT is this enough for custom fitted grip..? I'd be really interested to hear from people who have gone through the process with Rink and hear your thoughts.
Is it too "clever" to ask if you've gone to the effort to read and internalize Nygord's Notes on the subject?

The simple fact is that some very basic skills, patience, and a reasonable amount of effort allow you to do a job at least as good as Herr Rink, if not as pretty. The beauty of doing it yourself is that when you realize that the measurements alone aren't enough to assure a perfect fit (just like why you go back to the tailor before your bespoke suit is finished), you don't have to pack up your grip and ship it across the ocean. You will have everything you need to make it "just right."
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi William..

Yes there is definitely merit to your reply.

Thank you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, "Rad"....it shouldn't be too difficult for a REAL instrument repairman; someone skilled in handcrafting.
rmca

Post by rmca »

dontshootcritters wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:29 pm I'd be really interested to hear from people who have gone through the process with Rink and hear your thoughts.
The majority of Rink grips you see people buying are just of the shelf ones. May or may not fit you...
If you can't go there, the best alternative is to modify the grip yourself until it's good, and then mail him so that he converts the putty filled grip into one made out of just wood. That's what I did for my LP10.

Hope this helps
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've been trying to tell folks that the "off the shelf" Rink grips may not fit them any better than the factory grips, but some just don't want to believe it.
Hence this post, I guess.

BTW I picked up a few bottles of "Lisbonita" red wine. It has a picture on the label of the trolley that goes up the hill; number 25(?). I took that my first day in Lisbon, and my gal and I both laughed at the memory. Not a great vintage, but decent and cheap.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Any grip is just a start point, they need work and the post above pointing to Don Nygord is a good one as he sorted it years ago, there is more out there that he wrote about grip fitting such as fitting the web between the thumb and first finger. I love it when fellow competitors will not alter their grips as it may reduce the resale value and others drop the price of their pistols as they have altered the grip. Grips are disposable but are seldom so far gone a bit of filler will not get them to fit well in a few sessions. And before anyone asks use styrene free wood filler - some good colours, sets fast like car body filler and does not smell.
Last edited by thirdwheel on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Think of grips like you think of your shoes. Slight fit issues can make a BIG difference. However, unlike shoes, grips don't break in, since they're solid material. Therefore, careful and experienced carving and filling are generally needed.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

conradin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 am How do you make a blank or a fully anatomic grip totally fit for you? If putty is needed, how it is done?
Go "Total Frankenstein" = my grip pictured below. There's more layers of putty, filler, epoxy-metal, sanding, grinding, filing than there are flavors at Baskin Robbins. Impossible to screw this up: just fill/remove, repeat, until resale value of pistol is zero due to the atrocious looking grip.

Postscript: Yes, those are two .380 FMJ's tapped into the base.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:49 pm BTW I picked up a few bottles of "Lisbonita" red wine. It has a picture on the label of the trolley that goes up the hill; number 25(?). I took that my first day in Lisbon, and my gal and I both laughed at the memory. Not a great vintage, but decent and cheap.
A bit off topic, but

Should be the 28th.
They do have a nice course throu the city, and it's the only reason they are still working...
Great way to view the city center.
https://www.visitlisboa.com/en/places/no-28-tram

The Lisbon region is not the best in terms off wine. Decent and cheap is probably a good way to describe them.
You should look to Douro, and Alentejo for world class wines.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

atomicgale wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:15 pm
conradin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 am How do you make a blank or a fully anatomic grip totally fit for you? If putty is needed, how it is done?
Go "Total Frankenstein" = my grip pictured below. There's more layers of putty, filler, epoxy-metal, sanding, grinding, filing than there are flavors at Baskin Robbins. Impossible to screw this up: just fill/remove, repeat, until resale value of pistol is zero due to the atrocious looking grip.

Postscript: Yes, those are two .380 FMJ's tapped into the base.
Curvature if grip palm shelf is illegal for ISSF 10m & 25m events. But just like all grips, it is a "work-in-progress" isn't it?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

jliston48 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:52 am Curvature of grip palm shelf is illegal for ISSF 10m & 25m events.
RULING?
citing: ISSF 8.4.1 Standards for Air Pistol, then Diagram 8.13 page 438 "(palm shelf) Up- and downward bend allowed in the Longitudinal direction"

LINK to rules: https://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.asp ... 0Rules.pdf