Timing

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Giddaymate

Timing

Post by Giddaymate »

Interested to hear your strategy to train timing your shots in prone.
I guess we can break it down to the last second before the shot goes off. Ive heard some like to hold it still over the 10.9 ;) but others like to train to fire the shot while still on the move towards the center.

Whats your personal take ?
Tim S

Re: Timing

Post by Tim S »

I don't think I've heard or read of anyone releasing the trigger while the sights are moving in Prone. You breathe out, the sights stop over the target, you recognise the sight picture is correct (consciously or subconsciously), then you release trigger. Plenty of shooters take up the trigger's first stage as they exhale, but don't break the second stage until the rifle has stopped. The prone position should be steady enough that the hold won't deteriorate in the second or two it takes to confirm the aim and actually release the shot (especially just the final pressure). Beginners often have trouble releasing shots in a timely manner, and have to accept a little wobble in their hold, but improving the position/hold/NPA and shooter confidence seem better solutions than firing while the rifle is moving onto the target.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rgibson

Re: Timing

Post by rgibson »

Never shot while moving in prone; only standing...and skeet😃