USA Shooting Inducts Coach Lloyd Woodhouse into Hall of Fame

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

Post by USA Shooting »

Colorado Springs, Colorado

The U.S. International Shooting Hall of Fame inducted its newest member, Coach Lloyd Woodhouse, yesterday. He was honored during a special, intimate ceremony following the Board of Directors meeting on June 24, 2020. Lloyd was unanimously nominated by the USA Shooting Board of Directors as an individual inductee in June 2020. Coach Lloyd Woodhouse is the 32nd member of the Hall of Fame.

“As chairman it is an esteemed honor to work with Lloyd’s family and carry this honor to the board and our Alumni family for his induction to the Hall of Fame,” says Chad Whittenburg, USA Shooting Chairman of the Board. “I have known Lloyd only since 2005, where I myself took my first International Trap and Skeet coaching class from Lloyd and the late BJ McDaniel. From a coaching tree standpoint, I am extremely proud to say that my foundation of coaching excellence is built on Lloyd’s legacy. Since 2005, I have spent hundreds of hours on the field with Lloyd coaching and referring or just simply listening watching and learning as he shares his passion time after time with our nation’s youth. A great coach is so much more than just a X’s & O’s guy. A coach is a mentor, a therapist, a facilitator, a psychologist, a caretaker, an encourager and I could go on and on. For myself, I have strived to be a glimmer of a coach that Lloyd Woodhouse has been to thousands of USA athletes and beyond. For even a glimmer of this great man is enough to achieve success. He’s truly my coaching mentor.”

Lloyd coached the Shotgun National Team in Colorado Springs for 23 years. In those years, Coach Woodhouse guided the United States Shooting Team to over 428 medals in the shotgun disciplines of trap, double trap and skeet. This includes 127 individual gold medals, 109 individual silver medals, 100 individual bronze medals and countless team medals, both in junior and open events. Coach Lloyd Woodhouse headed up six Olympic teams, six Pan American teams, six World Championship teams, numerous Olympic festivals, several Championships of the America’s, countless World Cups and has been instrumental in raising funds so that future athletes can continue their journey in the international shotgun shooting sports.

“Lloyd taught me how important it was to stay positive, speak positive, and be in positive conversations,” says Olympian Frank Thompson. “He was always willing to do all he could to help me reach my goal and go to the next level.”

The highlight of his coaching career came when the shotgun athletes won gold, silver and bronze medals at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. As a result, he was named the USA Shooting Coach of the Year in 1996 and again in 1999 and 2003. His athletes also won bronze medals at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and a gold medal in Athens in 2004.

In 2003, Coach Woodhouse led the shotgun team to six gold and one silver medal at the Pan American Games, sweeping the shotgun events to secure the maximum number of 2004 Olympic quota slots and three individual world titles. That feat earned him recognition from the United States Olympic and Paralympic? Committee and he was named Coach of the Year in 2003; the only shooting coach in the history of the shooting team to receive that honor.

“His ability to maintain that long of a run is amazing. His 23-year tenure and record speak for themselves. The ability to keep pace and intensity for that long is incredible to me,” says Jay Waldron, USA Shooting National Shotgun Coach. “Still today, friends of Lloyd from around the world are asking about him and feeling the impact of his care as a coach, that’s truly reflective of his life’s work and how he’s been able to make friends and make an impression throughout the world. USAS choosing to honor Lloyd is honorable, but Lloyd being able to see the recognition of his long career achievements for himself is really what it’s all about.”

Coach Lloyd Woodlouse's’ storied life and coaching career was featured in an article in the September 2008 USA Shooting News – click here to read the complete story.

The U.S. International Shooting Hall of Fame was established in 1991 by the NRA International Competitions Committee. Selection criteria was established that limited selection to those that had excelled in international competition over an extended period of time. There was also consideration given to those athletes in pre-1948 competitions and those who had served the U.S. Shooting Team in administrative or coaching positions. To be eligible, nominees must have been retired from active international shooting for at least five years. Next, living USA Shooting Hall of Fame members and USA Shooting Board of Directors are asked to nominate candidates and then join with USA Shooting alumni in voting on the final nominees.

View the full list and bios of all U.S. International Shooting Hall of Fame Members HERE.

Media Contact:
Kate Gest, Manager Public Relations and Communications
kate.gest@usashooting.org
757-681-0563