Questions about Browning Medalist

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

tonyt915

Questions about Browning Medalist

Post by tonyt915 »

Hi, just signed up today after someone from another forum said everyone would offer the most help. I friend of mine inherited a Browning Medalist from his father, and offered it to me. He didn't know much about it since his father has past except that he bought it in a set but the rifle was stolen. After some research I found out it was a Medalist but see the prices range from $600- $1700. Was hoping someone on here could give me some more information and what would be a fair price to offer him for this piece.
Isabel1130

Re: Questions about Browning Medalist

Post by Isabel1130 »

What is your intended use?

Are you buying it to shoot it, or are you buying it for a collection?

It is a beautiful gun, but looks well used.

I would suspect it would be on the lower end of your price range as a shooter.

There seems to be a lot of them available.
Misny

Post by Misny »

There are better choices for a working target .22 out there, but not many as pretty. The magazines aren't easy to find and expensive. They aren't easy to mount a red dot, if that might be a consideration. I'd look elsewhere if you are wanting a shooter. If you are wanting a collector piece, the wood on this one seems to have a lot of chips and refinishing the furniture wouldn't be easy. The box looks like it has seen better days and wouldn't be worth much to a collector. The accessories would add to the value. Everything considered, if you want it, I would guess (having seen current asking prices) that it should bring around $1,000 to $1,400.
tonyt915

Post by tonyt915 »

Would be buying it as a shooter. Not competitively but just plinking. Just liked this one cause I haven't seen many around
23's Dad

Post by 23's Dad »

It looks like your missing the manual and the key to the box. Everything else is there.

As a plinker, they are mighty tough to beat. I prefer mine over a S&W 41, and they are a lot more rare. You can get quite a bit of information over at rimfirecentral too.

As a gauge, I purchased mine 2 years ago - with box, weights, and ammo block, and one magazine - no key and no manual. Mine has a little better condition grip, but the gold plating on the trigger is worn/eroded on the face. I paid just under 1K, but in southern CA, they are a little tough to find. I would guess that I paid about a 20% premium for living inside the iron curtain. My guess for a fair price on yours would be in the mid 700s.

Figure to pay 100-125 for a second Browning magazine, or about 40 for a Triple-K. Replacement grips are available. Like any target grip, they are pricey.

One other item - the Medalist has a pretty trick dry-fire system built in. If you purchase the pistol, read up on it. Practice turning it on/of a few times too, or you may find yourself at the range with a loaded paperweight. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Till then you'll curse a bit. To use the weight kit, you've got to remove the forearm and replace it with the weight hangar.

Offer him something in the mid 700s, and get yourself a nice stocking stuffer.