Marvel Conversion

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Bikefire

Marvel Conversion

Post by Bikefire »

Looking into a marvel for shooting in a bullseye league. Are some lowers better than others? Will it work on a range officer? Will I be able to set it up myself and does anyone shoot the same gun for both the Rimfire and centerfire portions of a match. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
GunRunner

Re: Marvel Conversion

Post by GunRunner »

look at the nelson conversion, much less trouble than a marvel.
dronning

Post by dronning »

GunRunner wrote:look at the nelson conversion, much less trouble than a marvel.
+1, if you haven't bought one yet the Nelson is the way to go, I have both a Marvel Unit 1 and the Nelson, The Nelson (a Bob Marvel design) incorporates all of Bob's latest improvements. The workmanship is flawless.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/22lr-conversion/

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Bikefire

Post by Bikefire »

Thanks for the advice, I'll check them out.
Ttgoods

Post by Ttgoods »

Will work great with a Springfield frame.

I have mine on a loaded which is same lower as the Range Officer.

Less so with a Rock Island or Kimber. Will not work with an STI 9MM.

For best results I have been told to have it fitted to a new lower.

People say Nelson is better and I was not impressed with Marvel Industries service.
Black_Talon

Post by Black_Talon »

If you already have a perfectly functional Marvel conversion, is there any advantage to replacing it with the Nelson version?
dronning

Post by dronning »

Black_Talon wrote:If you already have a perfectly functional Marvel conversion, is there any advantage to replacing it with the Nelson version?
No but I replaced mine because I had an older Marvel where the slide didn't stay open on the last shot. I also had an occasional function issue with the Marvel (maybe 2 alibis a season). Absolutely no issues with the Nelson.

The Nelson's weight distribution more closely matches my 45 due to the heavier all steel sight rib (both iron and optic). If you ever see them side by side you would pick the Nelson every time.

My Marvel sits ready as a backup but most likely will be used by another shooter in need, I doubt my Nelson will ever fail.

- Dave
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

dronning wrote:I replaced mine because I had an older Marvel where the slide didn't stay open on the last shot
I use my left hand and taught myself to count to 5. Heheheheheh

Seriously, I don't like a .22 to lock open on last shot. I dry fire once between "load" and "the line is ready," then keep shooting until I get another dry fire at the end of the string.

I've never used a Nelson so can not comment positive or negative. I have and continue to use a marvel unit one. For my primary, backup and loaner pistol. Their customer service is wonderful and Marvel Precision spends money and time at the nationals supporting the shooters. That goes a long ways in my book. I'm sure a Nelson is a fine machine. I hope to see them at Camp Perry this coming year and many years in the future. I may even purchase one some day just because they support the precision pistol community.

Humble apologies Dave. I was mistaken thinking you posted that you were not impressed with Marvel service. It was not you.

I have a problem with your opinion of "better" than a Marvel. You are free to praise any manufacturer you like and I support that you praise them so highly. But when you start to condemn another manufacture in the same breath you really should justify it. I'd be happy to listen to why you think one is "better." Side by side looks counts very little in our sport. You are going to have to describe that to me a bit better.

What specific problem(s) caused an alibi? How did the marvel unit malfunction to have this problem? and how did their customer service fail you? A friend and team member is a family member to Marvel Precision. If there is a problem or unhappy customer they would like to hear about it.
dronning

Post by dronning »

motorcycle_dan wrote:
dronning wrote:I replaced mine because I had an older Marvel where the slide didn't stay open on the last shot
I use my left hand and taught myself to count to 5. Heheheheheh

Seriously, I don't like a .22 to lock open on last shot. I dry fire once between "load" and "the line is ready," then keep shooting until I get another dry fire at the end of the string.

I've never used a Nelson so can not comment positive or negative. I have and continue to use a marvel unit one. For my primary, backup and loaner pistol. Their customer service is wonderful and Marvel Precision spends money and time at the nationals supporting the shooters. That goes a long ways in my book. I'm sure a Nelson is a fine machine. I hope to see them at Camp Perry this coming year and many years in the future. I may even purchase one some day just because they support the precision pistol community.

Humble apologies Dave. I was mistaken thinking you posted that you were not impressed with Marvel service. It was not you.

I have a problem with your opinion of "better" than a Marvel. You are free to praise any manufacturer you like and I support that you praise them so highly. But when you start to condemn another manufacture in the same breath you really should justify it. I'd be happy to listen to why you think one is "better." Side by side looks counts very little in our sport. You are going to have to describe that to me a bit better.

What specific problem(s) caused an alibi? How did the marvel unit malfunction to have this problem? and how did their customer service fail you? A friend and team member is a family member to Marvel Precision. If there is a problem or unhappy customer they would like to hear about it.
If you read my post clearly I made the exact opposite statement I said there is NO reason to buy a Nelson if you have a fully functioning Marvel. In fact I will make it perfectly clear to you that if Nelson didn't exist I would have bought a newer Marvel to get the lock back feature. You are right I have always had good service from Marvel and would NEVER state otherwise. I guess I should not have mentioned the alibis - IMHO 2 in a season is not bad and may have had nothing to do with the gun (better?).

But I also will not retract my opinion that side by side I'd pick the Nelson. I you are concerned because I didn't say IMHO the Nelson is a better deal then my apologies. You and I both know Bullseye is 90%+ a mental game and if I feel more confident in my purchase of the Nelson because: 1)it incorporates all of Bob's latest design upgrades, 2) I am very impressed with the machine work by McMillan 3) the overall fit and finish 4) the new magazine design. These things do make a difference in MY decision and in my confidence in the Nelson.

I also prefer metal optic rail of the Nelson gives it a much closer feel to my 45 (personal preference). Yep I know for an addition $200 I can get an all steel Marvel and they are nice.

I'd also have no issue buying a Marvel if I found a screaming deal on one.

So back to my original statement if you have a fully functioning Marvel there is NO need to replace it with a Nelson.

Sorry if I offended anyone!

- Dave
FYI and OT, I own a very early McMillan action , they are a thing of beauty.
~ Ben Franklin
motorcycle_dan

Post by motorcycle_dan »

Right you are Dave and re-reading the whole thread it was more than one person saying the marvel was some how inferior to the Nelson. I have no ties to Marvel but do take offense when someone speaks ill of them. Marvel donates conversions to raffle off or as prizes that suppport various shooting events or youth programs.

It was not just you and I apologize for being short on temper.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Bikefire,
I have 2 Marvel Unit 1's and have put them on Colt, Caspian, Springfield, Essex, and Citadel frames. Both have worked flawlessly on every one, (unless it's a dud round of course) without any modifications. If I was to purchase another conversion, it'd be another marvel. Nothing against the Nelson, just very a very satisfied Marvel user.

I've never used a Nelson myself, but there's 2 local shooters using them now on dedicated frames. One couldn't get through a single slow fire with his until he'd had it back to the smith a couple times (now it runs excellent). The other Nelson shooter doesn't shoot very often, but I haven't noticed any problems with his. As highly as they're recommended by respected and knowledgeable Bullseye shooters, I'm thinking the first Nelson was an anomaly.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Al
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

I was kicking around the idea of getting a 22 conversion for practice. My Caspian frame and slide were fitted/tightened by my gunsmith, so I'm guessing that might give me problems with the 22 conversions. If I go that direction will I need a dedicated frame? If yes, will the conversion need to be fitted to that frame as well or will an out of the box frame cycle correctly? I've read in the previous posts that they work with some frames but not this one or that one. Kind of sounds like it may be more of a PITA than it's worth.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

The .22 conversions are designed to fit a peened/tightened frame. You should have no issues with slide fitting your Caspian frame.
Jon
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Thanks Jon for some first hand experience, I thought I had read somewhere that folks had trouble when they tried the conversions with a tightened frame. So with that, I'm guessing that you do not need to have the conversion slide fitted to your 1911 frame, correct? Can I assume the conversion's inherent accuracy is only dependent on the quality of the barrel?
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

The conversion is a no fit installation. It's a fixed barrel design that locks firmly to the frame. The slide will have some play in it that doesn't affect the accuracy. Barrels normally shoot better than .75"@50 yards. I highly recommend the Nelson Conversion. Get an 8# spring for it because you'll probably need it when temperatures drop and for lighter ammo.
Jon
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Thanks Jon, I would go with the Nelson, but I found what looks to be a nice deal on a Marvel at a local dealer, $250 only shot a few times. Is there a way to determine if it's a Marvel Unit 1 or 2 version? I've attached a couple photos.
Attachments
marvel 22 conversion 2.jpg
marvel 22 conversion 2.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
marvel 22 conversion.jpg
marvel 22 conversion.jpg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

45ACP;

That is a unit 1

Good price.

Clarence
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

CP, thanks for the reply! Are you guys shooting standard or high velocity? I saw that Advantage Arms recommended only high velocity. I didn't see where Marvel, or Nelson listed ammo preference. If high velocity, what brand are you using?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

45ACP223 wrote:CP, thanks for the reply! Are you guys shooting standard or high velocity? I saw that Advantage Arms recommended only high velocity. I didn't see where Marvel, or Nelson listed ammo preference. If high velocity, what brand are you using?

These days it is whatever brand you can find. Try a few different types in the gun. If you get functioning problems with standard velocity ammo, you might be able to change out the spring, and get perfect functioning.

If your unit likes HV right now, it seems slightly easier to find than SV.

GSG magazines tend to function the best in Marvel conversions. Maybe they have made some changes, but the Marvel units function best when you push in the loaded magazine with the bolt closed, and then slingshot the slide to load the first round into the chamber.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I only shoot standard velocity ammo out of my .22 pistols.
Have used hi vel out of some Rugers I used to own.
My Marvel likes CCI SV, Center X, Eley red black and orange box.
I think I have read on the Marvel site somewhere that they recommend standard velocity.
I will have to look again.

Clarence