Bullseye Rimfire Pistol for High Velocity Ammo?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zeleny

Bullseye Rimfire Pistol for High Velocity Ammo?

Post by zeleny »

What is the best target grade semiauto rimfire pistol suitable for CCI Mini-Mags and such, something you might see a Bond girl use for social work? I understand that Walther-derived Hämmerlis are out, whereas the Browning Medalists and Colt Woodsmen are a little lacking in the trigger finesse. The FWB AW93 and other Haidurov designs seem to be built to take all sorts of abuse, as are the Unique DES-69 variants. But I have no data to back these impressions.
mparker

Post by mparker »

MiniMags are not bullseye rounds. They are general purpose rounds made for a wide variety of uses. The pistols you cite are all first rate and you already know that standard velocity ammo is what you need.

If you insist on using MiniMags in a high quality, potentially match grade pistol, something like a Nelson Custom Conversion kit on a nicely tuned quality lower. Even so, don't expect the results you'd get with match grade ammo.

A Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark III or 22/45 might be a player but, in my experience, both need a trigger job out of the box as a minimum.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I understand that the reason standard velocity rimfire rounds are used for target shooting is that the high velocity rounds start out supersonic and the velocity drops to subsonic down range. Depending on the particulars, that transition may occur before the 50 m target is reached and the turbulence causes instability in flight. Do you want to use the high velocity rounds for bullseye, or are you just looking for a "dual use" target and plinking gun?

Roger
joel

Post by joel »

The AW93 would not be happy with that ammo as slides have been known to crack.

Joel
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

I think that the Ruger MK pistols are good severe duty .22 pistols. You can't hurt them and they'll shoot anything reliably. Trigger jobs are easy to get and they do shoot well. The bolt is fairly heavy in comparison to other .22 pistols and can handle the abuse from the heavier loaded minimag ammo.

Jon
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

ruger,mk 2 or 3 browning buckmark or best would be a sw 41 all will do good, they were made to operate with high velocity ammo. they are good entry level bullseye guns as well, sw 41 is above average bullseye gun
desben

Post by desben »

My understanding was that the whole supersonic/subsonic transition thing was for rifles only. Out of pistols, even these "high velocity" rounds come out below the speed of sound. But I could be wrong. See http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

desben -

The chart shows that even for a 6" barrel, the muzzle velocity of some rounds can exceed 1087 fps which is the speed of sound in dry air at 32 deg F at sea level. The actual speed of sound will vary with temperature and humidity, but it is close enough to the MV of a high speed .22 that it is a possibility. It is even possible that a particular round in a particular gun is supersonic on a cold, dry day and subsonic on a warm, humid one.

Which brings me back to the question of why the OP wants a high velocity round to come out of his bullseye pistol - is it so that he can shoot BE one day and plink the next, or does he feel the need to get a higher velocity for BE?

BTW, I have a Model 41, first series, and I would not put anything but target velocity rounds through it. But maybe that's just me.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would guess that he probably wants to shoot what he can actually buy these days. I have shot plenty of CCI Blazer because I could find some. Worked pretty well.

In the morning I'll be trying the case of Eley Sport which I could buy (through my M41).

I agree that it's unlikely his ammo would be problematic.

Besides, Mossad used silenced .22 shorts for "social work."
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

You have a very high percentage chance that the Eley Sport will function in your 41. Very early on some of the lot #'s had an excessive amount of lube on them but as of late, they have been fine even being the more accurate round in several pistols, specifically my Benelli. The Sport is slower than most standard rounds but perceived recoil if higher somewhat like CCI SV is. I imagine both rounds use a fast powder that causes this.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

"something you might see a Bond girl use for social work?"

I'm guessing this isn't for paper target shooting.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shot some Eley Sport this morning. It was totally unreliable in my 41.

It's already on Craigslist.
Yiogo

Post by Yiogo »

.22 rim fire pistols can be finicky. What shoots in my pistol may not shoot in another of the same brand.

My M41 loves Remington SV and Eley but does not operate with CCI SV or Federal Premium. I have a 6# recoil spring I may try. The factory springs are 7.5# I believe.

I bought mine used from a local gun shop. I fit it with Herter grips and had it drilled and tapped for a Weaver base. Ultradot sits on top. New ones go around $1400. Used can be expensive too. I figured I'd give a pistol make in the USA another chance. Glad I did.

I love it. Excellent pistol. My scores went up 20-30 points with it. It's a gem.

Like my Ruger Mark 111. Out of the box trigger was 3# but with a long trigger travel. It gave me a good start. I also like my 22/45. It has a 4# trigger pull. Both would do better with a trigger job.

Yiogo
ghillieman

Zeleny, your post is confusing......

Post by ghillieman »

Are you looking for a Bullseye pistol for competition?

Or just a cool gun to shoot.......

You might be interested in a Hammerli Trailside with the Xesse grip.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Rover wrote:Shot some Eley Sport this morning. It was totally unreliable in my 41.

Rover, I doubt seriously that it is the ammo. Do you know anyone around you close that knows what to do with the extractor. I am just about positive that it is the problem. My 41 will shoot about anything and it would not shoot much period before I attended to the extractor besides High velocity ammo.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I have no idea how these shoot, if the trigger is any good or if they handle HV ammo

Sakos are pretty solid, I don't know if the spring on the .22 is adjustable as it is on the .32.

I suppose any target pistol could be made to shoot HV ammo with adjustment to the spring. Probably best to pick one with a heavy slide.
Ttgoods

HV 22Lr

Post by Ttgoods »

Not a good idea but it you want to use your pistol to hunt or plink Marvel Unit One with a HD heavy recoil spring, Rugers Mark I I I and I used to have a Bronwing Buckmark that loved CCI blazer.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Rover wrote:Shot some Eley Sport this morning. It was totally unreliable in my 41.

No need to get good results unless you have a bunch of it as eley sport is no longer made, it was produced in the aguila plant in mexico
Will Durant

Dual Usage

Post by Will Durant »

Unless this will be used for seious competition I would suggest a Colt Woodsman.The triggers really do not require much of a clean up and the frames are designed for use with high velocity ammunition. Will